Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 6239 times)

Selma Brooke Gunner

• Email
What is this?
« on: June 16, 2013, 03:29:30 AM »
I was just doing some research on Brooke guns and I got this image in that search. I know that this is not a Brooke even though it is labeled as such. Any help in identifying this piece is greatly appreciated.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/m_t_t/4404634287/
Gordon Thrasher
Selma Brooke Study
Kinston, Al
selmabrookestudy@yahoo.com

Selma Hunter

Re: What is this?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 07:36:11 AM »
Andy -

Blakeley Rifle Perhaps!?  I didn't go to the books to check, but I think that is what you have there.

It is clear that anyone calling this a Brooke Rifle needs some remedial education on Iron Gun Tubes or a couple of additional titles in their local or personal library.  You know the kind.... those volumes written by the "amateurs" without letters after their name!

Maybe the same (need for remedial help) can be said about my guess about the image in your posting!

Happy Fathers Day to all you fathers out there.

6lbgun

• If at first you don't Secede, try, try again.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 07:42:16 AM »
There is a photo of the gun in Ripley page 155.  It's identified as as a 4.5 inch Blakely.  Location is Fort Pulaski.
Dan 

Selma Brooke Gunner

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 11:29:11 AM »
6lb and Bill,
     thanks for the help with that, now if only I had reached to my book shelf I could have done the answering myself. I will blame it on a late night and too many days at work, yea that is what I will do.

Happy Fathers Day to all.
Gordon Thrasher
Selma Brooke Study
Kinston, Al
selmabrookestudy@yahoo.com

Selma Hunter

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 07:54:09 AM »
Andy -

Stick to that story - so far it is working!

FWIW, there is at least one very rusty example right across the street from the front door of the museum at the Washington Navy Yard - It seems like it was of field caliber.  A number of those gun tubes need some TLC.

VBR,

Bill