Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Civil War Sardine Can  (Read 8931 times)

Relicseaker

• Email
Civil War Sardine Can
« on: February 14, 2013, 08:41:07 PM »
Hi all.   Can anyone of you experts help me out with this.  This Sardine can has a label which I am including a picture of.  If anyone has found one of these with the lable, can you tell me exactly what the French letters are. I can only read some of them, and any help would be appreciated.  Also, is there supposed to be a date on it and where would it be.  See Attached.

PIA

Re: Civil War Sardine Can
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 03:56:39 PM »
In the winter of 1968 I purchased a sardine can with the same brass lable as your's from Jack Magune.  Mine was dug around Petersburg, VA, and cost me fifty cents.  Looking at mine, I cannot see a date on it and do not think there ever was one.
Best regards,
Gary 

Relicseaker

• Email
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 04:24:52 PM »
Hey Gary...........thanks for responding.  If you still have yours can you see if you can tell me the letters you have on yours.  I know what is says in the middle portion with the border around it.  The top letters across the top of mine looks like: RALESTRIE, but not sure.  Also at the bottem it looks like CONGARNE, but not sure of that either.  on the left side at the top going at an ange all I can see is what looks like EVETR, and on the right tip, it looks like the letters SCDC.  I have been trying to translate these words into English, but not much success. If you don't mind, tell me what yours says.  Best regards, and thanks for responding.  Rudy Shultz.

PIA

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 05:12:32 PM »
Letters across the top read:  LOUIS LEVESQUE.  Letters in the center read: SARDINES A L'HUILE.  Bottom line reads:  NANTES.  Hope this helps.
Gary

Relicseaker

• Email
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 05:26:23 PM »
Thanks Gary.  Do you have a picture of the label you can share?   Thanks again,  Rudy

PIA

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 06:01:08 PM »
I do not have a camera which would provide a good picture.  A couple or three decades ago the brass label detached from the tin sardine can.
Regrets,
Gary

Relicseaker

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 06:12:51 PM »
Thank you for all your trouble.  I appreciate the response you have helped me with.  If you decide you want to sell the lable, let me know.  Rudy

PIA

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 06:21:36 PM »
No problem.  Glad to be of some small service.  The condition of my label is not too good and would probably not be a benifet to your collection.  Will keep it here.
Gary