Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Introduction of new member.  (Read 9528 times)

Ward Reilly

Introduction of new member.
« on: January 22, 2013, 06:41:18 PM »
Hi...a short introduction...my name is Ward Reilly...I've been digging since 1963 (primarily at Port Hudson, La)...my father was Robert M Reilly, the man who did the original line drawings of fuses in Tom Dickey's (and Pete George's) artillery books... thanks for accepting me in this forum...artillery fuses are a long-time favorite of mine...I was close friends with Chuck Jones (fuse book) for a long time, (RIP), and I have had the pleasure of digging with Chuck, Mr Dickey, Pete George, Billy Spedale, Ronnie McCallum,and many of the early "greats" in the world of relic hunting.

I'm a veteran of the Army Infantry, and I served as an 81mm mortar gunner in the Weapons Platoon of Co.'C', 1st Bn, 16th Infantry(Rangers), of the First Infantry Division (Big Red One), from 1971 to 1974.

I was going to post some pics of some unique fuses, but the photos I took are too large, so I'm going to have to try again later.   :>)

Anyway, happy to be here. Ward

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Introduction of new member.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 08:48:26 PM »
Welcome.  We love fuses.  I like your name even if you do have the first and last name reversed, cuz.

Pete and Ronnie are here, the others you mentioned may be spiritually.

There is a limit to posting pictures through the forum of 256k per post.  That is about 600x600 or less.  This limit is here because we (correction, Carl) pays for the ISP costs by the megabyte of storage used each month.  Everybody should buy him a beer when they see him!

One of many end arounds to this size (and cost) limit is discussed in this thread:

http://bulletandshell.com/forum/index.php?topic=317.msg1962#msg1962

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 09:54:27 PM »
Ward,

Welcome.  Glad to have you here.  I'm sure you'll find the forum to be of great use and fun as most of us have.  You've certainly hunted with the best and I'm sure have some great stories to share.  Any dirt on Pete or Ronnie would be greatly appreciated!   ;D

If you don't have any photo editing software to adjust the size, crop the image, etc., the below blurb might help.  I put it together for others who have asked and saved it to reuse.   Cameras and phones take much larger images than people normally need so something like this is of good use.   If you (or anyone else) have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.  I'll try my best.

=======================

Edit the photo so it's represents what you want and works well on the forum web.  If you don't have any photo editing software on your PC, you can use this free site that will allow you to edit images on your PC without installing anything:
      http://pixlr.com/editor/
You can do about anything the high priced editors that you buy and install on your PC will do.  Use the menus on the top and left side.  Play with it a little while and you'll become a whiz.

Some things to do before posting and in this order are:
1) Edit the image to crop unnecessary stuff from around the edges to your subject matter is more visible.  Use the crop tool on the left.
2) Try to keep your images at a reasonable physical size by resizing them if they are large. I'd suggest making the width around 600 pixels or 800 at the most.  If you make them wider then they'll be wider than most peoples browser windows and not be completely seen.
3) Compress the image file when you save it so it takes up less disk space.  I'd suggest between 50 and 70 on the quality bar when you save in Pixlr.  This allows for faster downloads, faster displaying and less impact to the forum disk space when uploading to the forum which costs money.

Should you have trouble figuring out what to do, you can use Google or some other search engine to search for "pixlr" and your question and probably find any answer you need.  If you can't figure it out, let me know and I'll try.
Best,
Carl

Ward Reilly

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 10:21:03 PM »
Thanks for the welcome...Ronnie and I were constant companions for 25 years worth of digging after we both got out of the service...and he and I have shared a LOT of dirt at Port Hudson, and many other places...(hundreds of digs together)

My camera has a setting to make my pictures smaller, so I'll just re-shoot...no worries. You can find a 'snippet' about me in Chuck Jones fuse book in the acknowledgements...and as I said, my dad did the fuse drawings in Tom D's books...and I have done a bit of trading with Mike Kleinpeter...I was very sad to learn that Chuck J died in 2011....Mike just told me. Anybody know what happened to his incredible collection?

Ward in Baton Rouge

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 10:53:28 PM »
Chuck was able to sell off his collection before he passed away.  It went in a handful of different directions.  A couple of us here got most of his fuses and some other collectors got some too as well as the shells.

ETEX

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 01:37:09 PM »
Ward, welcome to the forum and I look forward to you sharing some of your experiences and knowledge from your extensive digging background. I guess I can overlook your past in the Army being a retired Gunnes Mate out of the Navy. I am a leadhead and look forward to any bullet information or post that will enlighten all us in the forum.

joevann

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 10:26:30 PM »
Welcome.

Fuzes are my thing, too.

Joe W. Vann III

rommack

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 08:21:30 AM »
Hi Ward                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Great to see you on the forum ! I am sure you will post some great relics and give Port Hudson a little credit for some very unusual items. Your ole digging buddy. Ronnie

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 12:35:46 PM »
Hello Ward.  :)  Welcome to the forum!  It's great to see another long-ago digging friend resurface here.

I'm looking forward to re-living the old times through sharing photos and digging-stories, courtesy of Mike & Carl's forum.  Again, welcome!

Regards,
Pete

swest47

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 09:36:34 AM »
Hello Ward and welcome aboard.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 03:27:53 PM »
Hello and welcome Ward.  Loooking forwad to seeing your fuzes.
Regards,
John

Ward Reilly

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 10:06:47 PM »
I finally figured a way to share some pics...I started a new thread in general discussion, with a link to a small gallery of pics. Some stuff i think most of you will enjoy....Ward