Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Island #10 here we go!  (Read 7182 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Island #10 here we go!
« on: December 23, 2012, 10:06:28 AM »
Gonna get me that 6.4" Archer sitting firmly atop my wish list yet:

http://news.yahoo.com/low-water-rivers-offering-glimpse-history-181848393.html
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 10:08:04 AM by emike123 »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Island #10 here we go!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 12:28:34 PM »
You don't live too far away; less than 8 hours.  Get your waders and head down there and find two of them so I can have one too!  I would prefer mine had the sabot if you can manage that.

But seriously, does anyone know what the target the few that were found was fired at and what CS battery they were fired from?  Looking in the book on Island #10, I see that it lists 10 of the 24 guns on the mainland as being "32-pounder rifles" which I'd assume are rifled and banded 32-pounder smoothbores especially since it lists "32-pounders" separately.  It also lists a "32-pounder rifle" on a floating battery. There were a good deal of various size cannons on Island #10 proper but none seem to be the right caliber unless the "128-pounder rifle" is a 6.4 diameter piece.  This is a long winded way of saying that there are a number of batteries that could have fired them.  If I knew where to hunt I'd go find you one.
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 12:50:15 PM »
There were a bunch of rifled 32pdrs in the various batteries.  Yesterday when I posted this, I saw a table listing the guns by battery and I remember Batteries 2-4 having them and probably more, but now I can't find it.  Maybe someone else can.  For now, this link will get you close though:

http://www.showme.net/~fkeller/quake/mapscivilwar.htm

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 02:13:02 PM »
That's probably the map which is in the book (Island No. 10  Struggle for the Mississippi Valley by Larry Daniel and Lynn Bock) I looked in.  The map showed the batteries and what guns were there but didn't tell me which ones fired the 6.4-inch Archers.   ;D 
Best,
Carl