Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Lincoln movie  (Read 9142 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Lincoln movie
« on: November 23, 2012, 10:32:11 PM »
Tonight I went with 6 others, from 18 to 82, in tow to the movie Lincoln.  I thought it was a very good movie and they did too.  Hard to find a movie that appeals to such a range of ages and interest in the American Civil War.  The theater was packed which is I think good for what we all have chosen to study despite the fact I know a couple forum members are not Lincoln fans. 

Anyway, I liked the movie and recommend it. It was not perfect and there were a couple scenes I think could've been improved upon but on the whole it was excellent.  For the most part it effectively brought the average person up to speed with the context while not boring those of us who know a bit more.  I welcome positive or negative comments from anyone who actually sees the film.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 09:33:07 AM by emike123 »

Dave the plumber

• Email
Re: Lincoln movie
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 08:04:59 AM »
   mama and I are going tonight, hopefully we can get in.  I hear it is selling out everywhere

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 09:32:52 AM »
I bought my tickets in advance through Fandango and am glad I did because the 2pm and 3:40pm were both sold out.  Reach deep, Dave, and pay the $1.25/tkt convenience fee!

Your town of Wilmington is not shown but the battle for Fort Fisher plays a conspicuous role in the movie.  There is a great joke when they are all at the telegraph room awaiting word on the outcome.

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 07:52:01 AM »
                * * * * out of five.........that's my take

It was great to see the black and white grainey photographed Lincoln come to life. Acting was wonderful all around. It was a story about politics, set during the Civil War.  There was an enormous cast of charachters, so keep your thinking cap on remembering who is who.
       Basically the movie is about the back door dealings, pay off's  and promises used by the party headed by Lincoln to get the 13th ammendment to the US Constitution passed.  I hope it is historically acurate in this account, because a block buster movie by Spielberg like this will become, in our culture of kids who don't read books much anymore, it will become fact in peoples minds for future generations, much as Gone With the Wind portrayed the southern cause and life for all these years.....     
        So, go see it for Lewis' portrayal of  Lincoln, so when you see those old photo's of a stoic Lincoln, you can remember he was just a man with a family, a conscience and a dream......   and pee before the movie because it is 2 and 1\2 hours long!!
        And since we are talking movies, I highly recommend Argo as a historical piece brought to the screen [ with liberties ] as an incredible true story made into a movie

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 10:44:18 AM »
what was the joke?

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 08:01:23 PM »
   Dave,  I must have missed the joke Mike refers to.      Maybe I was getting more popcorn then.......  or weeping 'cause the Fort fell......  or dreaming of all the shells shot at the fort still in the woods or under condo's.....

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 07:29:02 PM »
next time pay attention

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 09:00:33 AM »
It was the one about Ethan Allen's visit to London and the Geo. Washington portrait.  I won't give it away here, but Lincoln told it while they were sitting in the telegraph room.  Stanton stomped out of the room because he couldn't bear to hear another of Lincoln's stories.

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 08:44:58 PM »
 now I remember it, that was funny.           Anybody else see the movie ??