Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Everyone prepared down in LA?  (Read 14365 times)

ETEX

Re: Everyone prepared down in LA?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 02:06:16 PM »
Hoping to hear from all of the forumites to make sure they got through this storm safe and sound. Has anyone heard from Danny in New Orleans and the other Mississippi forumites. As power comes on let us know how all of yall faired through the storm. Thoughts and prayers still with all of you and your family.

Terry, glad to hear you finally got some rain in your neck of the woods.

rommack

• Email
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 03:40:31 PM »
Hi Guys  Thanks for all the thoughts of concern.  Maryanne and I are holding down the fort.  Operating on generator power only.  A few trees down and lots of limbs and debris, but nothing damaged as far as the house and out buildings are concerned.  Talked to the electric co today and they said we are not on any scheduled list and cannot tell us when we will have power.
Ronnie

R. J. in LA

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 05:44:36 PM »
Good to hear from Terry, Wes, Ronnie, & misipirelichtr and that they're doing alright.

Carl, thanks for keeping up with us.

Everyone have a great holiday weekend and check out Mike's post on the Artillery forum!

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 08:47:50 PM »
I called Danny early this afternoon and his phone just rang.  During Katrina, they evacuated so presumably he did again this time.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Vicksburg Park closures
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 09:51:05 PM »
Was reading up on something and noted this today about closures at Vicksburg due to Isaac.  I know one forum member was planning to go over there and see the Cairo in the near future so he and others should call ahead

There are park alerts in effect.

Temporary Closure Update - Friday, August 31

Park visitor center ONLY is open today from 8:00-5:00. The remainder of the park, including the entire tour road and the USS Cairo Museum is closed to all uses (including pedestrian and bicycles) because of damage caused by Hurricane/Tropical Storm Isaac.

Many trees and limbs are down, and the tour road is blocked in several places. Crews are working to clear debris and remove unsafe conditions. The duration of the closure remains undetermined at this time, but we will work to reopen as soon as possible.

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2012, 10:38:49 PM »
got power back about 6 pm this evening.  Ronnie, you need a hot shower, come on up!

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 01:47:09 AM »
It is good to know that all our collecting brothers, and sisters are doing well down there. We got just a couple of showers here in North Florida and I am not sure if they were bands from Isaac or just coincedental rains. I know I cant spell. My dad posted a picture of supposedly the remains of a blockade runner being washed ashore. It was said to have been on the news also. Does anyone know of this and where it is? Packing my bags and metal detector, LOL just kidding about that.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 02:43:15 AM »
This looks to be it here:
    http://dailycaller.com/2012/09/01/hurricane-isaac-uncovers-mystery-civil-war-ship-photos/

Some quotes of interest:

2004, 2008, 2012. All hurricanes with names beginning with I. All within a couple of weeks on the calendar,” the note read. “While we hope it’s the end of the pattern, we must admit it sure is interesting to see it appear!”

Some historians theorize that it was a blockade runner called the Monticello, although others say it could be the Rachel, built in 1919. Others say it is the Aurora, a rum-runner during Prohibition. Each theory has its downsides, so the ship’s identity remains a mystery

An earlier story on it:
    http://blog.al.com/strange-alabama/2012/04/fort_morgan_mystery_ship_remai.html
Best,
Carl