Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Bormann Examples  (Read 11342 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Bormann Examples
« on: August 26, 2012, 11:36:41 PM »
Hello,

This might not be of any interest to anyone but I thought I'd share it just the same since we've had a lot of discussion on Bormann's lately.  There was 8 Bormanns that needed drilling which we did and after washing out I had sitting out to dry.  None of these are mine.  While looking the fuses over I got the idea to share them with our wonderful group.  I won't provide any commentary on them other than it's amazing the range of conditions that these are found in. I've found a number of Bormanns and some are nice while others are nearly corroded away and the condition doesn't necessarily match the iron.

Best,
Carl

Garret

• Email
Re: Bormann Examples
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 02:51:09 AM »
Fascinating look at the fuses Carl.  Thanks for sharing.
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

Selma Brooke Gunner

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 02:09:38 PM »
Thanks for those. It really is amazing at the varied conditions that they show up in.
Gordon Thrasher
Selma Brooke Study
Kinston, Al
selmabrookestudy@yahoo.com

callicles

• Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 04:26:07 PM »
Great Pics!!! Thanks!!

Lazouave

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 05:22:02 PM »
Carl,
what is the significance of the star on the last fuse pictured?

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 01:16:35 PM »
That's a good question and I don't know.  I gave a quick look in the fuse book and Chuck shows some examples with a couple different types and configurations of the stars but give no relavance to them.  My guess is they are all from the same manufacturer and represent different runs with a new mold or possibly each manufacturers did their own thing.  I guess it's plausable the US Government asked to have them marked with the star, US, etc. to differentiate a US made Bormann fuse from an import.  Being Belgium invented, there may have been imports early on until our manufacturing got up to speed but that's all speculation on my part.  Perhaps one of the fuse guys will know.

I know it's a long answer given I really didn't have an answer to your question!   ;D
Best,
Carl

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 08:57:59 PM »
       I have a museum mint Belguim manufactured Boremann fuzed shell complete with straps and sabot.  It is the same diameter and has the same wrench slot as US manufactured fuzes.  But, the numbering system and time 'slashes' are very different from our Bormann fuzes. The two could not be confused, as it is very different looking in that regard.        And unfortunately as it is in the shell, I can not tell if it has left or right hand threads

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 07:30:38 AM »
Dave,
   We really need some photos.  May I ask how you learned that it was a Belgium manufactre?
Can you describe the numbers until we can see it?
John

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 10:01:42 PM »
Carl,
   Mayh I ask where the Bormann with the arrow and star was found.
Is the arrow a rare addition and about what percentage of fuses have the arrow?
Regards,
John

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 12:11:37 AM »
I’ll answer but I am afraid I don’t know much that can help you.  I can tell you that the one in the image I sent you in email and shown in the discussion regarding the tin or copper plate on the bottom of a Bormann:
     http://bulletandshell.com/forum/index.php?topic=650.15
was found in Sharpsburg, Georgia which is southwest of Atlanta. 

As to quantities of the different types of fuse marks I don’t know a reference with that type of information.  Possibly some of the hard core students of ACW artillery have collected some data in this area that would give some indication of how plentiful they are but I've not heard of it and Chuck Jones didn't discuss it.  You see the different varieties and combinations of markings and it would be nice to see in a book all the possibilities.  I've seen a handful at least with the arrow.  There is also the ones with the US and with stars of various configs.  If you look at the last image of the images I started this discussion with you'll see one that has both the arrow and the star where mine only has the arrow.  So any type of count would be complex.

Another thing that might skew the data is usable examples to determine if they are marked.  A significant number of the fuses corrode to be unreadable.  It could be that the mixture of the metal used at one foundry to make the unmarked ones corrodes easier and faster thus making the marked oned seem more prevalent than they were.  Or vice versa.  Or no impact at all.

In general I'd say most are unmarked and a significant percentage of them have some sort of marking.  But I can't venture a guess and will leave that to those far more knowledgable.
Best,
Carl

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 07:42:19 AM »
Carl,
    Thank you for your interest in some tough questions.  John Biemick wanted to know as he has about 25 Bormanns and none have the arrow.  I know that you have some and so does Mike and I was hoping you knew about how many had been found.
    John believes that the star is from the Washington Navy Yard and that a flat space between the two wrench slots is a fairly accurate way of identifying Federal fuses.
Thanks again,
John