Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Gettysburg relic show  (Read 10522 times)

Lamar

• Email
Gettysburg relic show
« on: June 28, 2012, 02:05:07 PM »
Any of you gentlemen going to be at the Gettysburg show this Sat. (June 30)?

If you are, I'll try to introduce myself.

Tom McPherson

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Gettysburg relic show
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 05:00:25 PM »
Boss won't let me go being the last day of the quarter.  All guys like me do is work, work, work whilst others get to go to all the shows  :)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 05:09:36 PM »
I think I had a tear form in my eye......
Best,
Carl

ETEX

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 01:23:13 PM »
Carl, that makes two of us.

R. J. in LA

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 06:10:48 PM »
Mike, your avatar Baby Hawg looks like it's on steroids or trying to be a regular Hawg!!   :)

R. J.

ETEX

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 01:32:34 PM »
Guess that's what happens when you get old. The body shrinks and you get fat :o

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 09:01:54 PM »
You should know....Happy Birthday Michael!

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 11:20:41 AM »
Member acwbullets called me the night after the show and said there wasn't much artillery at the show but he got a Mac Mason fuse and saw an Archer from Allegheny, WV being walked about.  He said there were a fair amount of repaired relics there and he got some good deals on Indian and Span Am War items.

Any other updates from those who went?

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 07:08:58 PM »
Mike,

I spoke with Ian an hour after he updated his site to acquire the Mac fuse adapter, it was a beauty, and found out Plez beat me to it. It was one from the M & M book. Oh well. Missed the G-burg show but will be at the fall show when the Thomas bros. host it.
Later,
Dave Slemmer

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 07:34:52 PM »
Thats funny.  When Ian called and mentioned getting it, I gave him a heads up that mine was one of the 5 in the book and his might be too so he probably checked to find out his was indeed.  These were all sold individually from Mac's collection back several years ago by Terry Hammonds.  I posted a picture of the complete set of Mac's fuse collection somewhere else on this site once, but if anyone wants it I can eMail them a copy.

I remember Terry said he paid over $30 grand for the collection.  I bought one of these from him for $125 probably 10 years ago at the Dalton Show (back when I went and didn't have another event that weekend to attend).  I always liked mine (still have it) and felt it was worth 2.5x the cost of an unmarked one for the provenance.  I got a couple other of his fuses and the labels that went with them.,  They were pricey at the time but I wish I had bought more of that stuff.

There are a few collectors like you and Plez who love Mac stuff.  Someone should start a thread here on the unique markings of the great ones that went before us in relic collecting and their unique marks.  Folks like Mac Mason, Sid Kerksis, Tom Dickey, AE Brooks and the Danner Museum.  I have at least one from each of them and think they are all a super cool connection to the early collectors.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 07:37:02 PM by emike123 »

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 11:45:25 PM »
Wow,  Dickey , Brookes and the Danner collection ! The Horse Soldier has a relic pyramid from the Brookes collection , I believe.

I just picked up neat Mac items from Bryan Davis ( hell of a nice guy) including dropped and shot bullets from G-burg ( even some drops marked LRT, Little Round Top ) and Antietam. That answered my question if Mac dug at G-burg. Included were some nice lockplates. A complete Colt rifle plate and an Enfield, too. There's always a Kerksis plate being sold somewhere, he dug thousands of plates, I think. I need to pick one up.
Later,
Dave Slemmer

acwbullets

• Email
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 07:53:59 PM »
The Gettsyburg show was good if you knew what to look for. As always the turnout was great. There was some Mac Mason items there but the fuse was the only legitimate one. I also saw some great CS cartridges that you don't see very often. As for repaired relics....there were plenty if you knew what to look for. Mostly rare buttons that have had the rim, shank, or pinhole fixed. There weren't that many bullets due to the fact that the show wasn't a digger show. There was a great deal of Indian War/SAW items that were priced very nicely. Hope to see some of you guys at the Richmond show.

Daveslem

• Email
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 05:01:40 AM »
Well, five years later but I'm obliged to respond. I purchased some relics and bullets years ago  from the aforementioned dealer and was duped. Most of the items were legitimately dug and written on by Mac Mason. Others were not. The lettering on some of the bullets were in Mac's style but were just a little off. These included Enfield bullets still currently being sold from Gettysburg and Petersburg. The lettering is just too thin. When I purchased the lot from the dealer he said it would include copies of two letters from Mac to Richard Ross, an old digging buddy. One was to contain a list of all the places he dug, including Gettysburg and Antietam. That was what I wanted to hear. Unfortunately, I only received one letter, which was legit and even listed a lockplate I was purchasing. I pursued this "other letter" for years from the dealer. Finally it was "in the mail". Not. It eventually broke down to my texts and calls being ignored.

Fast forward a few years and I make contact with Steve Henry and his wife, Joyce. Steve was one of Mac's digging partners for years. They answered some questions I had, mainly, "What did Mac use to write on his bullets and if he dug at Gettysburg or Antietam ". I was told Mac used a Speedball pen and ink and that, to their knowledge, never dug at Gettysburg or Antietam. Ian Workman, you were right! Luckily, it was only about ten bullets but it happened to a guy who thought he knew better, me. I own a few hundred of his items and thought I was smarter than the average bear. Live and learn.

My printer is down or I'd scan the letter I did receive. Maybe Mike can scan and post it. I think it's pretty cool.
Later,
Dave Slemmer

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 10:20:25 AM »
My first Gburg visit was awesome. I didn't spend much time at the show at all, unfortunately. I go to the Charleston show every January, and I help my friend Dicky at his house on his web site so I figured I can see and purchase artifacts anytime. I wanted to spend my limited time at the various sites in and around THE BURG. But we have decided to go next yar and spens a week so I will be able to spend more time at the show.

As already stated I did not see much artillery, however there were some nice ones. Nick has a nice Dahlgren that I drooled on a little. Someone had a Confederate 12# case, no fuse for I think it was $125 or $130 that I wish I would had snatched up.

I did get a 1/2 sectioned 12# Bormann from The Horse Soldier, you can clearly see the Williams Cleaners in it. I am sure you guys saw it on the right on the shelf as soon as you walk in the shop.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

Garret

• Email
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 03:17:56 PM »
Is Terry Hammonds selling relics at shows?   I know his Southron Relics site used to be up and he always had good quality relics for sale. 
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain