Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Confederate James shell  (Read 22885 times)

alwion

• Email
Confederate James shell
« on: January 23, 2012, 12:09:33 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220938468129?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
 Wanted you guys to not miss this.  As to my post about how bad offline sales have gotten, I did email to be sure that this would run full length, reply as follows

I have indeed had several offers ranging from $600 from some person in North Carolina to $1,750 from some other scumbag trying to lowball me. I have blocked them as bidders and reported them to eBay for their behavior. I appreciate your warning, but if I end this auction early, it will not be to sell it to one of those guys.

Opinion, He will either take a high offer or will end early if its not going high enough. Verging on the "Dark Side", but this once again is how the "games" being played >:(
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:46:56 PM by emike123 »

alwion

• Email
Re: Confederate James shell
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 12:28:01 PM »
watching other auctions where they post the Q&A openly, he does this continuously, and bet he has gotten some great stuff :(

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
I made some minor edits to this thread.  We aren't the eBay police here and I'd prefer not to air personalized commentary.  Regardless of the who, the point being made is a lot of people are trying to get folks with nice things on eBay to end them early at low prices.  Its not my bag, but it is what it is.  I applaud you for trying to warn naive sellers though Alan.  Kudos.

For what it is worth, I think that is a $2,800-$3,500 projectile.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:59:08 PM by emike123 »

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 01:15:28 PM »
No harm, no foul. I applaud those who make offers, because it gives me more choices. The market is free, gentlemen. 

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 01:44:23 PM »
Sorry Mike,
I started this string of threads about ebay with my unwitting question about someone selling a Shenkl for $12.00
I have my answerrs.  I will stop this.
Best Regards,
John aka Bart

alwion

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 03:01:06 PM »
Hey John, I think it's Great you posted the question!!!!! And I'm glad we got the posts we did so we know more. Yes this is an artillery forum, and we want it to be about projectiles, but frauds, buying, selling, and how that works are parts of the information we all need to aquire and study our passions, and any helpfull info should be posted here, as its all part of it.  I think most posts and opinions are ok, as long as we are learning, not just slamming someone.   

We are all here to help with what we know,  whether its buying, shells, preservation, etc

Thanks all

Sorry about that personal name copy Mike, I understand, didn't think about that privacy act stuff:)  won't happen again

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 10:44:56 PM »
Turns out I know the woman who listed this bolt.  She lives not far from me and is a widow and her husband had a very nice Civil War collection.  Here sister's husband did too and when her sister's husband passed, she got taken advantage of pretty badly.  So this woman with the CS James projectile is no dummy and my guess is she will end the auction early because so much tom foolery is going on about it (she told me she has over 40 people watching it and lots of people asking her to end it early for bogus reasons including one guy many of us know who told her it was probably live and she should just give it to him before it was confiscated by the cops).  I hope she gets a fair price because in my opinion she can probably use it and she's a nice lady so good for her.

alwion

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 05:44:27 AM »
I have talked to her now several times, seems very nice, have my fingers crossed for her, hope she does well

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 11:00:27 AM »
I don't see what the big deal is here.  It is the sellers item and he is free to do what he wants with it.  If I have something on ebay and someone discreetly offers me what I deem as fair value, I would sell it to them and save myself ebay and paypal fees.  Free enterprise!

I have received ebay messages from people irate and cussing me out for closing an item down before the auction ended, simply because I changed my mind and decided to keep it.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 11:57:42 AM »
To All,
Someone please tell me what makes this a C.S. projectile.  James is Federal, could it not have been an early model??
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 12:29:25 PM »
More correctly, it is patterned on the James style.  It is designed a 3.3in Confederate gun and copies some of the Federal James projectiles characteristics, namely the "birdcage" ribs covered by lead (but not in turn by tin as with the true James projectiles).

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 01:56:46 PM »
Mike,
    I understand it has been identified as a copy of the James pattern to be used in a 3 inch C.S. gun.  What references do we have that the C.S. made it on the James design?  Do we know for a fact that it was not U.s. made??
     I guess the point I am trying to make is this not another perpetuated error?  Why isn't it union made??

Best Regrds,
John

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 02:32:31 PM »
3.3 inch gun, John.  Find me a Union one of them and maybe we can reopen this long settled matter of it being a CS projectile.

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 03:02:02 PM »
3.3 inch gun, John.  Find me a Union one of them and maybe we can reopen this long settled matter of it being a CS projectile.

Concur.  Caliber tells the tale.

John D. Bartleson Jr.

• Email
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 03:15:44 PM »
Great answer, although I am not a tube guy.  Was this the only 3.3 inch shell used by the C.S. and at the battle of Shiloh?
 Thank you.
John
P.s. Does anyone know when John P. Schenkl died?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:50:38 PM by John D. Bartleson Jr. »