Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: ID please  (Read 2260 times)

NYRaider

• Email
ID please
« on: May 16, 2020, 09:30:51 AM »
Can anybody ID this, please & Thanks

« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 09:35:03 AM by NYRaider »

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: ID please
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 07:55:41 PM »
I think it is a Dana shell that's missing its sabot.  These were patented shortly after the Civil War ended.  Here is a link to the patent and you can see the drawings there yourself.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US50692

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 08:23:27 PM »
I can see some similarity with the Stafford/Eureka and Arrick shells.  See these discussions:

http://bulletandshell.com/forum/index.php?topic=1728.msg13338#msg13338

http://bulletandshell.com/forum/index.php?topic=1147.msg9043#msg9043
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 08:58:11 PM »
Those Stafford, Arrick and Eureka half shells in the posts are mine.  I looked at them and a several other post war shells before responding.   The Stafford, Arrick and Eureka do not have the base (sabot area) profile NYRaider's does (big, protruding, round, iron, base post).  If you take the time to look at the patent drawings, the Dana has this post in the middle of its donut sabot (missing on NYRaider's shell) and also has the little slots above the top sabot line for lubricant or something to expel out of.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 09:16:54 PM »
I wasn't saying that his was one of those.  I only noted the similarity of how the sabot slid up a beveled base with locking ridges/grooves to prevent slipping.  All use a similar type of sabot.
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 09:45:43 PM »
Got what you were contributing now, Carl.  Thank you.

NYRaider, I think your shell may very well be a Dana.  It is almost certainly late to post war, however.  That puts it outside most of our areas of focus so I cannot be positive it is indeed a Dana.  Two of the people who used to get really excited about shells like yours, John Bartleson and Joe Vann, were former EOD instructors but sadly both are gone now. 

I don't think many Dana patent projectiles were produced and some (1 a forumite has in particular that is larger) deviate from the patent drawing specs after having gone through the process of actually being manufactured. 

In sum, I'd welcome other suggestions, but until someone comes along with a better answer, a Dana is the best ID we have for you.

If you are less than fully satisfied with that, length and diameter measurements as well as a photo of the base could be helpful.

NYRaider

• Email
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 10:56:06 PM »
Thanks, Ill call it a dana shell till something better comes along. BTW, That green mat that it is pictured on, is in one inch squares.