Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Pee Dee Redux - OMG  (Read 2411 times)

Selma Hunter

Pee Dee Redux - OMG
« on: May 13, 2020, 05:04:20 AM »
If they can get it wrong, they will get it wrong.  You decide.

https://curiositywell.com/river-metal-experts/?as=700aol&bdk=a700aol&ch=bt

Jim J.

Re: Pee Dee Redux - OMG
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 11:34:00 AM »
Okay guys, I will start off by saying (honestly) I am an underwater archaeologist and conservator, who loves ordnance, and I am familiar with the project. 
You all have brains, so please read between the lines here.
Watch the video posted in the link, and Please take note of ALL of the garbage in the advertisements.  They post one image, with minimal info, and then you have to go the "NEXT" image .  .  .      The idea behind these posting is to get you to follow one of the links.  They also have a very good reputation of making the archaeologist / people in the posting look bad.  If you want solid information on the Pee Dee site, please go to -
https://www.clemson.edu/centers-institutes/conservation/projects/project_peedee_cannons.html
There is a lot of good information on the web, unfortunately there is also a lot of bad information as well - you just have to decide what you wish to cull.
Jim J.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 08:57:24 PM »
I guess I'm confused.  The curiousitywell site is one of those click bait sites to make you scroll through all kinds of advertisements.  I'm not sure who got what wrong.  I've only heard good things about the recovery and conservation.  I would say they could have upgraded their invite list to the big event!    ;)  (Sorry Bill; couldn't resist!)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 08:58:37 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

Selma Hunter

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 05:41:54 AM »
Of all people who visit here I am certainly among those who recognize the "click-bait" nature of some of these articles.
As many of you know I am a 5-7 year "self-quarantine" type due to prevailing health issues.  Worse still, I never leave the room I'm in as this post is penned.  No kitchen, living room, outside, etc.  My adventures are limited to trips to/from the doctor and hospital (when necessary).  So, lots of time to pick through the rubbish piles of so-called "news".  It is infuriating to mush your way through 30-35 pages of crap (while getting tripped into the occasional miss-click due to the jumping screen positions that cause you to "invite" yourself to visit some medical, or insurance or other useless link) to get to the one "leader" that convinced you to jump into the sheep-dip to begin with.

Having said this, the guys on the recovery team who represented the State of SC on this project did a fine job, but the real story goes way back before their involvement and it amazes me that anyone could assemble such an article and miss/omit absolutely all of the principles behind the story.  The principles were all there along with the guys from the state of SC and the Clemson/Lasch Center recovery teams.  Every one of them was wet with sweat and or water from the Pee Dee in the doing.

Yes, Carl, we (Catesby, Parker & I) were all delighted to be invited.  I think the recovery exercise started out as a "closed" event but by the morning of the 29th there was an impressive crowd assembled.     

And while I'm at it, it has been a bit of a puzzle to me as to why those deciding such matters would place the three wonderfully restored tubes on naval gun trucks instead of the period proper carriages?!  It is possible to imagine the Dahlgren tube on a truck, but a Marsilly would have been the better choice.  To put any Brooke tube on anything other than a pivot (even a rough mock-up) does not do justice to the history of the guns.

IMHO.

Jim J.

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 10:23:22 AM »
Selma Hunter - Thanks for your good comments in the above posting.  Yeah, you are right, a IX Inch Dahlgren needs to be exhibited on a Marsilly carriage - no two ways about it!  I helped build a replica carriage for the USS Westfield Dahlgren cannon, that is now on display in the Texas City Museum - http://www.texas-city-tx.org/page/rec.museum
If you follow the link, you will see the video on the USS Westfield Dahlgren cannon.  We managed to get the plans from the Navy archives, so the carriage is an exact replica.  The cheek pieces are 6.5" thick oak, and let us just say that they are heavy.  The project was a labor of love, that was also a lesson in humility for me.  Building a pivot carriage for a Brooke rifle, would be a whole order of magnitude greater.  They are very expensive to build, if you are going to do it properly, and very time consuming - but oh so rewarding when they are finished.
Jim J.

Selma Hunter

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 10:59:13 AM »
Thanks for your comments Jim.  The pivot carriage and slide drawings are readily available.  Believe me, I do understand how difficult they would be to fabricate.  But I also believe that there should have been enough $$$$ in this recovery project to finish the job properly.

FWIW, there is one set of nearly complete original iron for a Brooke/pivot carriage available now if anyone has a need to do a proper carriage for a gun.

We shall continue to watch events unfold.

Jim J.

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 11:39:07 AM »
"FWIW, there is one set of nearly complete original iron for a Brooke/pivot carriage available now if anyone has a need to do a proper carriage for a gun."
Yeah, I know, and I wish I had the ready cash to get that set .  .  .
Unfortunately, I know that my back and legs would not hold out to finish the Job of building the carriage.  On the other hand, maybe I need to delegate - and I can be the Impo-tent supervisor. We do have two single banded Brooke rifles from the CSS Georgia - Mmm!
Jim J.