Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Neat Informative Frag  (Read 2424 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Neat Informative Frag
« on: March 08, 2020, 10:24:43 PM »
Hello,

I found this frag in my frag crate and decided to do a quick clean on it.  Glad I did.  This is a little more than 1/2 of the nose fuse hole of a 3.8" James projectile.   One reason I know it is a James frag is due to the safety wire that can be seen on the outside.  This is only seen on the James shells.  Since the frag is just over 1/2 of the shell nose the open slot along the fuse hole is less than the diameter and thus the slider and cap won't fall out.  The iron on this was so nice that after electrolysis the slider slides freely in the groove.  The threads need cleaned a little better for the anvil cap to screw in.  The cap and slider are out of my collection and were not found with the frag.  I found them in Vicksburg.   I thought it was cool and thought I'd share.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 11:25:59 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

pipedreamer65

• Email
Re: Neat Informative Frag
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 08:05:00 AM »
Nice "working" representation.  Thanks, I like it.

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 10:47:28 PM »
good way to see how it works, thanks. I guess the third picture has the bottom of the safety wire

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 11:24:09 PM »
Of interest I have about 6 different fuse caps and only one fits this hole.  Somewhat surprising to me is that they seem to come in a variety of sizes.  They also seem to be finished while screwed into the intended shell as the fuse cap is so flush with the iron.  But I don't see any sign of lathing to finish them.  They are really well made shells.

Divedigger: Yes, thanks for pointing that out.  It was an attempt to more clearly show the wire and it's proximity to the fuse.  On the inside where the slider rests I can see the other side of the hole but the wire is sheared off as one would expect.
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2020, 09:01:54 PM »
Way cool.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

rommack

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 07:36:07 AM »
Great Frag Carl !