Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Looking for any updated information on this unknown Civil War Bolt.  (Read 2807 times)

Ward Reilly

Greetings from Ward in Baton Rouge. I was wondering if Pete (or any other of you other true experts) can tell me if any 'new' information has been discovered about the unknown Bolt on page 301, Figure III -266, 1980 edition of the Pete & Tom's artillery book?

It's listed as;

Provenance unknown
2.75" x 5.3"
5 pounds 10 ounces
Rarity 9
Battlefield; Ft. Hindman, Kentucky (Battle of Arkansas Post (otherwise known as Battle of Fort Hindman)???)

I just picked up a beautiful one. Sadly, my photos are all too big to share here I just discovered. lol

Anyway, does anyone have any new info on these? I got this one from a woman in Bentonville, Kentucky, but no other provenance was available. It has the bolt, but no sabot. Insanely good metal, also. Any help much appreciated, and Happy New Year in 2020 to Y'all.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Looking for any updated information on this unknown Civil War Bolt.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 05:56:41 PM »
Here are some pictures.  For those with the 1993 D&G, it is on page 340. 

Happy Birthday Ward Reilly -- nice present you got yourself

Ward Reilly

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 12:07:48 AM »
Thank you for posting my photos, Mike. So, is there any new information on these Rarity 9 bolts, or are they status quo?  (The one in the D&G book, and the group that came off the ship in Kentucky) This one came from Bentonville, Kentucky, but that's all I've got.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 09:28:54 AM »
Really nice projectile.  That is one I've always wanted to add to my collection.

Was the recovery location Benton, KY or Bentonville, AR or something different?  I wasn't able to find a Bentonville, KY.
Best,
Carl

Ward Reilly

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2020, 01:03:29 AM »
Carl, Yes, there is definitely a mistake (or some confusion) about Ft. Hindman, Kentucky being listed in the 1980 D&G book as the origin of these CS bolts. Ft. Hindman is actually in Arkansas, and there is no Ft. Hindman, Kentucky. 

From google; "The Battle of Arkansas Post (also known as Battle of Fort Hindman) was fought from January 9 until 11, 1863, near the mouth of the Arkansas at Arkansas Post, as part of the Vicksburg Campaign of the American Civil War. Although a Union victory, it did not move them any closer to Vicksburg."

I got the bolt from a seller in Benton, Kentucky, yes, but no other provenance was given. His description was; "I believe it is a Confederate 3" Read Solid Bolt shell.  Made of iron with 2 bands of lead." I wouldn't be at all surprised if this one was fired in that Arkansas Post/Ft. Hindman battle, but that is pure speculation.

callicles

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2020, 11:43:12 AM »
For what its worth, there was a Fort Heiman located, I think, on the Kentucky side of the Tenn. River opposite Fort Henry in the Department of the Cumberland. I thought I’d post just in case there might be some confusion between Hindman and Heiman. Just a thought.

Ward Reilly

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 04:12:04 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. The error I'm referring to is in the 1980 version of the D & G artillery book on page 301. It lists the bolt in question as having been 'battlefield recovered at Ft. Hindman, Kentucky", which as you pointed out, doesn't exist. It just adds to the intrigue of this projectile, in my opinion.  (haha)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 12:03:42 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Very different looking shell than most of the trans Mississippi stuff.  Very odd design with the sabot that has no way to prevent it from slipping.
Best,
Carl

alwion

• Email
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 07:57:09 AM »
well thats an interesting critter