Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: McCallum Bullet  (Read 3275 times)

misipirelichtr

• Email
McCallum Bullet
« on: December 22, 2019, 11:44:18 AM »
I have named the bullet shown in the photos the "McCallum" after the legendary relic hunter who, as far as I know, is the first person to recover one of these ultra rare bullets.  The bullet shown measures .575 x .891, and is characterized by a ellipsoidal cavity and an unusually thick base skirt.  While it has some characteristics of the "Cleburne" (see second and third photos for comparison; the McCallum is on the left in both photos), the McCallum is clearly a different bullet.  Any information from others who may have recovered a McCallum would be greatly appreciated.

misipirelichtr

• Email
McCallum bullet photo
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 11:57:24 AM »
I am challenged to post multiple pictures - here is the bullet

misipirelichtr

• Email
McCallum and Cleburne side by side view
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 11:59:24 AM »
side by side view of McCallum and Cleburne

rommack

• Email
Re: McCallum Bullet
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 12:08:33 PM »
Thank Jimmy ! This is a very rare bullet to dig at Port Hudson !I have only dug a very few and they all came out of Confederate camps. I have shown it to a lot of CW bullet collectors and none so far have ever seen one .Hope some one can shed some light on this rare bullet !

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 06:05:10 PM »
Is there anything he hasn't dug?!?!?!!??   ???
Best,
Carl

R. J. in LA

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 02:10:06 PM »
Jimmy, thanks for posting the side by side of Ronnie's rare Port Hudson bullet versus the Cleburne. Ronnie, super find!

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 10:37:36 AM »
I'm surprised there hasn't been more input on this bullet.  Must be really rare.
Best,
Carl

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 01:50:49 PM »
McCallum is indeed unique and special - just like it's namesake!  Carl, in all seriousness, I do believe this is a rare bullet.  I think the fact that no one has jumped in here is that very few - if any - of the forumites have one in their collections.  Like many of the Trans-Mississippi bullets that are tied to a few camps or locations. all of the McCallums I know about have been found in Port Hudson in a very specific area in the CS lines.  And almost all of those are in one collection.  I've searched every bullet reference book I have pretty thoroughly and the Cleburne is the closest match.  And it clearly is a different bullet.  Still hoping Mike or Jim or others will have input.

Jim T

• Thomas Publications
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 09:55:52 PM »
OK, I'll chime in. Although probably not as you'd hope.  I can offer no further information regarding this bullet. As you've correctly stated, most Trans-Mississippi bullets are very rare and little is known about them.  If these have indeed all been recovered in the same, single area is it known which troops were in that area. That would be information to persue.

Regarding the name, I think to name a bullet after the guy who first found it is doing a very serious disservice to future collectors.  Please understand that I don't know Mr. McCallum, and mean no disrespect to him or his talents as a relic hunter.  But his name in no way relates to the use, manufacture, or anything else historically tied to this bullet.  This name can only lead future researchers who may never know its origin down the wrong rabbit hole.

Having said that, I cannot offer a better name since there is no information.   Perhaps just a "Port Hudson .58" for the time being.  Or a "Cleburne II".  They are essentially the same bullet with just a slightly different profile.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 09:58:41 PM by Jim T »

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 10:01:56 PM »
Jim, thanks for weighing in, and no offense taken here.  I was hoping you, Mike or one of the others who know far more about CW lead than me would be able to offer insight on this bullet.

rommack

• Email
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 07:33:03 AM »
Hi guys  Just thought I'd add a little bit more info on this bullet.  They all were dug over a 30 year period in a Confederate winter hut area.  Ninety percent of the buttons found in this area were Louisiana or droop wing staff.  I did find one home made lead ID for Charles Hebert of the 4th Louisiana Infantry.   Also in this area were 69 cal British Sea Service Bullets.  So my best guess is that this is a Louisiana Troops associated bullets.  Thanks for all the input.  Let's keep digging on its ID.   Ronnie

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 08:42:13 PM »
Were the troops known as The Fighting McCallum's?   ;) 

For shells we can often ID from patent info or arsenal correspondence as WoodenHead has so often shown us.  The differences in shells are typically somewhat distinct mostly because of the sabot and fusing system.  But for bullets it is often subtle.  Is there much correspondence between armories or foundries that describe the bullets being made or issued in any manner to help ID them?
Best,
Carl

La2cav61

• Email
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2020, 07:56:07 AM »
The Cleburne's that I have seen are .54, the McCallum's are all .58. Has any of the bullet collectors seen .58 Cleburne's or armory history of such a bullet ? I see the subtle differences here but the differences look significant enough to keep the two bullets separate in name at least. Could they be imports from Europe with the proximity to the blockade supplies coming out of Texas here ? Keep the search going bullet guys this is interesting stuff.