Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Whatzit?  (Read 3207 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Whatzit?
« on: October 14, 2019, 05:29:44 PM »
Hello,

I got these pictures from someone asking what this might be.  It appears like a grenade with an anvil cap fuse.  Problem is there also appears to be an anvil cap fuse on the other end.  The anvil caps looks like they unscrew but there is a lock washer under it and the owner hasn't tried to remove it.  He was hoping to find out what it is before he tried.  I don't have anymore info but the person's hand should give an idea of the size.   Anyone seen anything like this?
Best,
Carl

Selma Hunter

Re: Whatzit?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 05:10:35 AM »
Carl,

Any background on this?  I am sending the link to a guy who is an expert in strange stuff like this.

Bill

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 09:22:57 PM »
I will check tomorrow but not that was mentioned in my initial text conversation.  Thanks.
Best,
Carl

Tom Gersbeck

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 09:02:25 AM »
I have not seen anything like this.  What is on the base?  If there is not a means of attaching a motor or other device, I would rule out all but one possible ordnance category [submunition] as there would be no way to deploy it other than as a payload.  There are submunitions with all-way-acting fuzes, but this is also missing any means of allowing the fuze to arm.  Most all-way-acting fuzing configurations deployed in this manner have slots or small protruding points to impart spin, at a certain RPM the fuze arms. 
However, as this feature or any possible electric arming configuration is not present, I do not believe this is a piece of ordnance. 

Selma Hunter

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 10:42:51 AM »
Tom,

Thanks.

Bill

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 08:14:47 AM »
open it, lmao

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 08:11:44 PM »
Hello,

I'm getting the info on it from a middle man and, of course, the owner is traveling but will get more detail and pics when he gets back.  But he middle man did note this:
      The center line is where two halves come together and is not a mold seam.  It has two small screws what he'll get pictures of.

I tried to find something like it with Google but no luck.
Best,
Carl

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2019, 02:02:34 PM »
Hello,

I looked some in Google but to no avail.

Attached are some better images of the side of the device.  It does have two screws opposite to each other along the seam.  I suspect they are set screws that hold the two halves together.  They are flush with the surface and don't seem to be able to provide any function as described by Tom Gersbeck in his post above.

It sure seems grenade-ish but too many things indicate no.  Very odd.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 02:12:15 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl