Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Burst Whitworth (muzzle loader) that was found at Raymond, MS  (Read 5186 times)

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Re: Burst Whitworth (muzzle loader) that was found at Raymond, MS
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2019, 09:46:58 AM »
I respectfully disagree. I believe the necessity of the shell having to turn as it is pushed home would cause some resistance. How much I haven't a clue, I've never been a civil war gunner. However you would have to push hard enough to make it turn as it was going down. I think there would have to be considerable effort. Only my humble opinion with no experience obviously. Regardless I still don't know the reason for converting, even without a twist, isn't it faster to load a breach loader as opposed to a muzzle loader anyway. I am sure there is a reason or they would not have done it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 09:49:57 AM by speedenforcer »
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

callicles

• Email
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2019, 07:22:42 PM »
I meant to include this letter with the previous posting. This is how I know the two breech-loading Whitworths were sent to Baton Rouge.
W.H.

Thanks Wooden Head. The pictures you posted of the burst cannon looks exactly like the one I saw many years ago at a private museum in Vicksburg. If I recall correctly, a digger by the name of Kevin Williams (or something) found it. He was there when I saw it. If that’s the one I saw, he claimed it came from the battle of Raymond.

Ripcon

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2019, 09:52:02 PM »
I knew the guy that found that burst cannon tube. He lived in Clinton, MS. I never hunted with him but knew him and viewed many of his finds.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 09:24:20 PM »
He is the same guy who had it when I saw it.
Best,
Carl