Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Dicky Collection Not on Display  (Read 2824 times)

Selma Hunter

Dicky Collection Not on Display
« on: July 17, 2019, 06:25:38 AM »
Anyone have any idea why the Dicky Collection wasn't on display at the Atlanta History Center yesterday?  A friend went there specifically to see that collection but it was nowhere to be seen.  He also observed that the AHC has gone "PC" in a big way.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Dicky Collection Not on Display
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 08:05:52 AM »
eMike bought it.  There was one or two things in it that he didn’t have.   :'(
Best,
Carl

relicrunner

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 08:59:13 AM »
The Dickey collection was on display this past Saturday.

Selma Hunter

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 01:15:53 PM »
The collection was not in the Dubose Room and at least 3 staffers said it wasn't out for display.  Something not making sense

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 01:54:30 PM »
misipirelichtr and I were there a couple weeks ago to see the restored cyclorama and it was there.  It's built into an alcove in the wall:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jared422/24379372975

...so it'd be hard to disappear without construction (or a curtain), but it is also something you could miss because of how it is displayed.  The overall museum layout has changed, but the area the majority of the artillery is in hasn't.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 04:08:43 PM »
I suspect the "DuBose Room" is actually the "Dubose Gallery" which has the massive button and buckle collections and some other personal items and is part of the exhibit that the Atlanta History Center calls "Turning Point: The American Civil War".    Much of it is DuBose material but a good bit is not including the Dickey collection.  Much of the Dickey collection is on display in the glass case the Mike showed the image of.  Other pieces are spread throughout the Turning Point exhibit where they might add to another display item.  There is also some amount downstairs in storage as well.  The "Turning Point" exhibit hasn't changed a lot in quite a few years.  But if you haven't seen it I'd highly recommend it.  If you like relics, few museums can compete.
Best,
Carl

redbob

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 06:22:03 PM »
A portion of the Dickey Collection was reportedly sold off when it was donated to the museum as being surplus items.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 04:42:58 AM »
Yes.  A very small portion.  I got a couple things.  One of them is now in Mike's collection.
Best,
Carl

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 08:45:29 PM »
Actually they sold one lot only and that was to me. It was about a third or forth of the collection and included most of the War logs. I did sell to John Sexton about 50 3 inch Hotchkiss shells so he could sell them to people who wanted something from Tom's collection. Of course Tom had been selling stuff for years from his collection before he died. I was extremely fortunate to get so much of Tom's collection and still have it. Tom was my mentor as he was for other people. There were a few things from Tom's collection that have been offered for sale after he died but these items were not authorized to be sold and I think were stolen from the collection. People who know what happened know what I refer to.