Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Pee Dee Gun Carriages  (Read 2420 times)

Selma Hunter

Pee Dee Gun Carriages
« on: June 23, 2019, 09:42:26 AM »
All,

The now beautiful guns of the Pee Dee are now in place at the VA facility in Florence, SC.  I have followed every email, news article and private message on the topic since they were transported to the permanent display site on the 12th (?) of  this month.  Unfortunately it was not possible to get there personally for the event. 

Several of these photos were taken by Ted Gragg and others by my friend Micky Aderholt. 

The question I have is who/why arranged for the two Brooke tubes to be mounted on Naval TRUCK carriages?  At best I would think that the VI.4 might be mounted on a Marsilly carriage.  In the total of my research neither a photo nor reference in narrative ever placed a VII" Brooke tube on a naval truck unless it happened somewhere in the James River flotilla late in the war. 

Can anyone tell me if I missed something?

pipedreamer65

• Email
Re: Pee Dee Gun Carriages
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 12:03:49 PM »
Perhaps it was the cheapest way to display them, but still have a touch of authenticity? 

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 01:46:27 AM »
I would guess it was just a case of someone looking for a "civil war carriage" that could hold a big gun without thinking that there were right and wrong options.  Too bad they don't spend the time to get confirmation of authenticity from an expert.
Best,
Carl

redbob

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 08:36:26 AM »
I don't believe that they recovered any carriages when they recovered the guns and are there any records about what type of carriages they were originally mounted on? All that the book Guns of the Pee Deehas in it is that the carriages came from the Charlotte Navy Yard and that the 7" Brooke was forward, the 6.4" Brooke was aft and the 9" Dahlgren was midships on a pivot mount.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 08:49:41 AM by redbob »

Selma Hunter

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 07:50:42 AM »
Redbob,

To address a few questions for you as I understand the guns;

1) All three guns on the Pee Dee were on pivot. 

2) I have studied the Brooke guns for 15 years in conjunction with the war as it related to Selma.  That takes in a lot of research when extended to Catesby ap R. Jones, John Mercer Brooke, Brooke tubes, naval artillery in general, etc.  In that time I have never seen a single reference to a 7" Brooke rifle on a naval truck carriage.  I would be quite interested in any references to that effect.

3) The VI.4" rifles were typically but not exclusively used in broadside.  As such the usual carriage was the Marsilly as I understand it - I am NOT the carriage expert here, FWIW. 

4) My guess would be that when the guns were scuttled the sailors doing the work probably dismounted the tubes - leaving the pivots to burn with the rest of the boat. 

It would be great if someone would step in with better information on all of the above.  Ted Gregg of Conway, SC (?) is well versed on the story & recovery.  I would add Glenn Dutton and Rufus Perdue to that list as the most definitive in terms of the history of the boat and recovery efforts.  They currently own the shipyard property.  Hank Boyd of Chattanooga did substantial research on the Pee Dee/Mars Bluff shipyard at the time and may have more information in his notes if you choose to do more detailed research.

Again, FWIW.