Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Pee Dee Guns on Display  (Read 3118 times)

Selma Hunter

Pee Dee Guns on Display
« on: June 12, 2019, 11:49:30 AM »
All,

In what is supposed to be a "soft" opening it seems the three big guns from the CSS Pee Dee have been mounted at the site of the VA facility in Florence, SC as of yesterday.

Photos to follow.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Pee Dee Guns on Display
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 04:15:03 PM »
There are at least 3 VA facilities in Florence, SC and none that I could find have the name in the oft copied press release, but these guns are at 707 E National Cemetery Rd, Florence, SC 29506

I will be down that way later this Summer and hope to see them.

Selma Hunter

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 08:32:40 AM »
Mike,

Thanks for sharing that info.  I had no idea that Florence was so well endowed.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 01:40:24 AM »
That was a good quick job in recovering them and getting them on display!  Might be a record.  I'm looking forward to seeing them when I get a chance.
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 08:42:23 PM »
Hope They "cooked" them long enough so they don't corrode later
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 07:20:40 PM »
A friend of mine -- ok its me -- has the complete bottom section irons of an original barbette carriage that during the war had a 6.4" CS Brooke on it.  It was recovered legally on private property and is sitting in a (very affordable) pile awaiting restoration.  It is available, but I passed on parting it out to a National Historic Park a few years ago.  It would've been cheaper for them to buy some of the parts than have those parts remade on their super expensive repro carriages. 

Since then, a couple people involved in this Pee Dee recovery have crapped on it saying the one I have out of the Mobile defenses is a "Yankee" carriage.  They whisper this like its a huge secret that these big barbette carriages were designed prior to the Civil War so essentially are common to both sides.  The truth gets in the way of profits from selling carriages made of old log wood recovered out of the very same waterways these Pee Dee tubes rested in.  I have no idea, nor do I care enough to ask, where the wood came from for these carriages, but it wouldn't shock me at all if some self interest is not partly behind this mis-"carriage."
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 07:29:59 PM by emike123 »

redbob

• Email
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 08:24:00 PM »
Hope They "cooked" them long enough so they don't corrode later
In the book Guns of the Pee Dee, Ted Gragg talks about how good of condition the tubes were in as only one (where a portion of the tube had been above the mud and exposed to the air when the waters were low as it had stuck straight up in the mud when it was thrown overboard) and how little conservation the Lasch laboratory had to do to the tubes.

Selma Hunter

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 08:14:57 AM »
All,

FWIW, the pivot carriage rails and other parts in Mike's possession are real.  The guy who dug that pivot base is a friend of mine.  It amazes me that anyone would challenge him on the provenance of that nearly unique recovery.