Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: GAR Painted Battlefield Souvenir  (Read 2488 times)

dlw1610

• Email
GAR Painted Battlefield Souvenir
« on: June 16, 2019, 04:43:03 PM »
I just bought a Boyle, Gamble & McFee saber bayonet painted by a GAR post with old radiator gold paint.   Am thinking of removing the paint except for traces to maintain the provenance.  Any thoughts?

redbob

• Email
Re: GAR Painted Battlefield Souvenir
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 09:08:49 PM »
I believe that the GAR must have gotten a good deal on gold and silver paint as they seem to have painted anything metal that they got their hands on one of these two colors. I have an 8" solid shot from a GAR Post that is painted silver.

dlw1610

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 06:27:43 AM »
Thanks redbob. since the saber bayonet is mine I removed the gold paint leaving just enough to keeps its GAR provenance.  Makes no sense to paint a cast brass handle & the blade wasn't badly pitted.  Looks 100% better to me

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 11:37:00 PM »
I'd remove it too unless it had some provenance or ownership painted on it.  Nice pickup.
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2019, 08:11:25 AM »
I agree with removing it as well. kind of. It is part of its history but just like yall I like it untouched since 1865. I have an Ames 1840 heavy cavalry sabre dated 1857 that the scabbard once was painted gold. Now you can only see a little in the crevices around the throat and hangers.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.