Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: sort of projectile related  (Read 2493 times)

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
sort of projectile related
« on: June 06, 2019, 07:43:10 PM »
I am curious. Was it ever determined if it was a Confederate shot or a Federal one that killed Ginnie Wade at Gettysburg?
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

redbob

• Email
Re: sort of projectile related
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 09:45:31 PM »
I believe that that is still open to debate. There was a recent study that cast doubts on it having been a Confederate bullet, but that said I doubt that anyone will ever be able to prove one way or another who actually fired the bullet.  :o

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 10:41:37 PM »
I would think that if they knew the time of the incident, from which direction the bullet came from, knowing the troop locations then it wouldn't be too hard to have a strong guess but if I am correct, she was at her sisters house by herself so I suppose no one knows time of death.

redbob

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 11:54:08 AM »
An article in Forensic Magazine 03/05/19 www.forensicmag.com casts some doubt on the Jennie Wade legend, a forensic study determined that the preservational state of the structure is less accurate than originally believed (exterior doors have been moved from original locations to other locations-including the one that the fatal bullet supposedly came through) and the fatal bullet likely entered through a window and not a door. Union troops had been in the house firing at Confederates and the Confederates may have mistaken Ms. Wade (who very well have been dressed in dark clothing as was her custom) for a Union soldier as seen through a window by a Confederate soldier. The result is the same, just some of the facts are different.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 12:00:08 PM by redbob »

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 12:03:11 PM »
ah, very interesting. does make sense.