Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: New Alabama Relic Diving Law  (Read 2542 times)

Selma Hunter

New Alabama Relic Diving Law
« on: May 31, 2019, 07:03:26 AM »
This message was posted by Steve Phillips on Facebook yesterday.

FYI.

Senate Bill 63 has passed in the Alabama Senate and House.

Senator Jim McClendon and Representative Dickie Drake are our heroes. We kept this bill pretty quiet this time so we would have less opposition from any vested interests that would want to stop the public from being able to find relics and artifacts in Alabama state waterways. We have been fighting to fix the 1999 Shipwreck Law for 20 years and we have won some fights and lost some but this is the first time any of our bills have passed in both the senate and the house. All we need now is the governor to sign and that should not be a problem. Divers and relic hunters can now feel safe from harassment and can find and keep lost items that are not part of a cultural resource such as historic shipwrecks or aboriginal mounds.

Alabama has 77000 miles of waterways and they belong to you, the public. Go explore and find and preserve all that good old stuff that was thrown in our waters. Trash from the past is items that we like to find. Bottles, jugs, bullets, coins, arrowheads or in my case cannonballs are in our public waters. Go for it. I wish I was younger so I could still find history.

Please remember who accomplished this for us. It was Senator Jim McClendon and Representative Dickie Drake. Remember their names and always support them as they have supported us. Our legislators in Montgomery have helped us many times over the last 20 years and you people should learn who your legislators are and don't be afraid to talk to them. I've never had much if any help from bureaucrats but our legislators are easy to talk to and they will and have helped us.

I AM VERY HAPPY

Please share this post with any interested parties. (Original message by Steve Phillips)

Lt12pdr

• Email
Re: New Alabama Relic Diving Law
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 08:00:50 AM »
Outstanding !

redbob

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 01:03:34 PM »
It's about time.

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 07:41:55 PM »
good job guys!

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 10:32:12 PM »
A big thank you goes to Steve Phillips for his never give up approach to fighting it.  Good job Steve!
Best,
Carl

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 09:51:56 AM »
Good job!! A win for the good guys finally.
It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee