Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Interesting sabot design  (Read 2700 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Interesting sabot design
« on: June 02, 2019, 01:15:30 PM »
I recently bought this and as long as it is still up on their website, it will save me having to post pictures.  I had never seen something like this:

http://www.fortdonelsonrelics.com/cgi-bin/Display_Item.asp?2224

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Interesting sabot design
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 09:34:03 PM »
I've not seen anything like it either but it makes all kinds of sense.    That one won't slip!  Nice pickup.
Best,
Carl

callicles

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 04:00:21 PM »
I hope Woodenhead or Pete George sees this and comment. I would certainly love to read what they have to say. Do you have any theories regarding it?

Woodenhead

• Email
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 07:01:49 PM »
As a matter of fact, Pete and I have been discussing the likelihood that some Virginia Reads had pre-cast iron bases for several years now. It seemed pretty clear they did, but we lacked any convincing proof. About one month ago, he deactivated a beautiful 3 inch Read shell for me (see first item below) and we both agreed that the base appeared to be pre-cast, like that shrapnel from the Vicksburg area you recently purchased. I saw it about a week ago on the dealer's web site and downloaded those same three views. The sabot appears to be die-struck and fitted with an iron base knob insert. Remember, Vicksburg received around 1,000 Reads from Virginia in late 1862. We know that some VA foundries put rectangular cuts around the center hole. I'm guessing that interesting artifact came from one of those VA Reads. Items #2,3 &4 below are examples of other 3 inch Reads that appear to have pre-cast base knobs. All are on shells cast horizontally - with mold seams running the length of the body - like the earlier Mullanes and Archers. All appear to date from late 1862. By mid-1863, nearly all VA Reads were nose-cast vertically with the base knob formed at the end of the primary pour. Melting of the imbedded portion was recognized as a problem. We are still learning about this process and it is under active consideration. Mike, your relic base provides an important piece to the puzzle. If you are not in 'love' with it, sell it to me for a profit at some future time and I'll donate it to Pete George's excellent study collection of bases.

Woodenhead

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 04:11:14 PM »
wow, very nice.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

alwion

• Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 08:27:11 PM »
may not have worked too well,as it seems to have twisted off when fired