Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Mansfield  (Read 3045 times)

LeonVa

• Email
Mansfield
« on: March 29, 2019, 09:07:21 PM »
Anyone out there familiar with the bullet referred to as a Mansfield in Terry Waxham’s article in the NSCWT magazine?  Everything about this bullet tells me it is the bullet pictured in the article.  I have never seen a real good picture of this bullet as the one in the magazine is a bit lacking as is the one in shown in the Stelma book. According to the article the bullet is supposed to be 58 caliber crude cast with very faint grooves and an unusual overpour. 

Thoughts?

LeonVa

• Email
Re: Mansfield
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 09:10:10 PM »
Extremely thick base

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2019, 10:04:19 PM »
I think it is, but I am going off memory which is kind of dangerous.  I need to dig out my old bullet articles for a large group of nice bullets I was sent that got all jumbled up.  I'll try to do so and post an update.  I know Danny Spencer had one in his collection but I think I loaned away (& never got back) the CD with all his bullet collection pictures on it.

Sorry to be so slow to respond, but I have had a lot of work and elderly parent issues to attend to.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 01:45:46 AM »
And I just don't know.   :o  Nice looking bullet though!
Best,
Carl

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 09:50:05 AM »
there's a Mansfield in Tom Stelma's book - measurements are .530 x .950 with a .27 deep cavity.  Unfortunately it is one of the poorer photographs in the book, so I can't say for certainty if yours is a match, but if the measurements are close, I'd say yes

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 10:15:37 PM »
Here is the picture of the mentioned Mansfield bullet from Tom's book. One photo as shown in book and the other with some adjustments
It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee

LeonVa

• Email
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 11:08:00 AM »
I also noticed that Terry’s article says it is a 58 caliber bullet which my bullet closer resembles but the one in Tom’s book measures 0.53????

LeonVa

• Email
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 12:17:21 PM »
Pic from Terry’s article