Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Question  (Read 5495 times)

Garret

• Email
Question
« on: March 16, 2019, 07:50:13 PM »
A local magazine wants to spotlight my Civil War collection.   This could be a good way to get more people interested in the hobby.   However, would you allow them to photograph your artillery collection?   I could allow them to photograph firearms, images, paper items, and battlefield relics without photographing the shells.  My concern is getting a knock on the door from folks wanting to blow up my shells.   Honest responses are appreciated. 
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

divedigger

• Email
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 08:23:36 PM »
that is a valid concern. When bigironman was interviewed for a magazine he kept a hat pulled down over his eyes and basically was incognito. I would leave the shells out of it.
You would hate for somebody to take it on themself to protect you from yourself and cause you to lose your shells

svedra

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 04:23:51 AM »
I would leave the artillery out.

Steve Phillips

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 06:55:54 AM »
I think it is fine to show your artillery projectiles but insist that they tell that all are unloaded and safe. Don't own any live artillery projectiles.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 12:53:32 PM »
Certainly a valid concern.  I guess it is a gamble on how it is written, how much information is supplied and who happens to see what is written.  It is generally good to give our hobby more exposure but perhaps not to your neighbors (if they aren't far away) who may become concerned.  Perhaps a sign located at the artillery that indicates it is all disarmed or, even better, a letter from some local police EOD person saying they've inspected it and there are no live rounds.  But I guess you take a chance if you call them that something negative might happen.   As an aside, if they give too much info on you then you've alerted people that you might not want to about a valuable collection.  So you might want to approach it like DiveDigger's BigIronMan did.  That would help safeguard your collection on both fronts. 
Best,
Carl

gandycreek

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 03:28:59 PM »
There's no way I would let them photograph the artillery shells. All it would take would be one "Do Gooder" to see it and they will be knocking on your door with the Bomb Squad. Not worth the risk. JMHO
  No one but close family and friends know about mine and I only have less than twenty shells. This aint "Happy Days" any more.

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 08:18:48 PM »
I'd keep the artillery out of it.  Too much potential for over reaction.  You got some nice pieces and I'd hate if anything happened.

Garret

• Email
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 09:27:07 PM »
This is the publication that wants to run the piece.   They do a good job with photography and the write up:

http://hiluxury.com/category/indulge/collections/
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 11:19:55 PM »
There might not be much issue with paranoia in Hawaii.  You might express your concerns to the writer beforehand and see what he says.
Best,
Carl

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 09:13:55 AM »
I would never allow it. In fact, I keep that room locked since I use my home for events and don't want anyone other than the selected few to see the shells.

Lamar

• Email
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 09:45:23 PM »
I would never allow it. In fact, I keep that room locked since I use my home for events and don't want anyone other than the selected few to see the shells.

Scott, I was privileged!!

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 01:11:40 PM »
Lamar, you told me that behind that locked door was like the room in the pawnshop basement from Pulp Fiction.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 10:21:13 PM »
Take it from a cop. Don't let them see the shells period. Trust me on this. I don't claim to know everything but too much could go wrong and you have worked to hard to acquire a nice collection. E.O.D. from the military or local Law Enforcement claim blowing up historic shells is necessary for public safety. A big B.S.   I've been around these guys and it has more to with the thrill of blowing something up at your expense. Its kinda like volunteer firefighters sitting around the station hoping for a fire to go put out. DONT DO IT.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 10:28:33 PM by speedenforcer »
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 10:24:37 PM »
 Garret, I would absolutely not let them in the door.  Plain and simple, for general relics or especially artillery.
   It is all well and nice to showcase your collection and possibly spark interest in another person for Civil War relic collecting, but the risk isn't worth the chance. I always say, "what good is a collection if you can't share it". But being in the newspaper is way different than meeting a friend of a friend who has an interest in relics and has a few himself and would like to share conversation with you. That's great. That is totally different.  But, once it goes in print, it is out there in cyberspace forever. And as pointed out by others here on the forums;  the bad guys might eye your collection as a potential target for robbery.
   I have been in the newspapers before, and interviewed on tv, for other interests of mine. It always amazes me how when edited, how misquoted I was, or chopped out of even finishing a sentence. Or, my point was not gotten across.  I have personally vowed to never do an interview again, nor even be photographed at an event.
   You / me / we all  have too much riding here with our collections for some person seeing our interview, sitting back in their armchair,  to think that it is not right for us to have this stuff, and for them to raise a stink, which on social media can burn and blaze like a wildfire.
  Just my personal opinion. But I don't want to read about EOD taking your collection out to destroy because it was deemed a threat to your community.  I would hate it for you. And that hurts all of us too, in the long run.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 10:31:41 PM »
Let us know your decision please.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.