Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: New year needs advise  (Read 6155 times)

AlaninTexas

New year needs advise
« on: March 11, 2019, 11:55:25 PM »
I own about 350 different CW bullets. They are catagoriesed by MM #. I own the MM book, the RBtR books and the TT booklet. I am thinking I would like to build an excel spreadsheet to list my bullets. The thought is to key in all the information shown in the three bullet books, then cross reference each and eliminate duplicate entree’s. Then I would check off those I own ( after my own investigation). Has anyone else ever gone to that extreme to build an ultimate list? Are there any thoughts before I begin the many hours of keying. This task will help me quickly recognize what I don’t own and will be useful when I view actual bullets that I plan to purchase. Also the cross reference between the three books will help since sellers all seem to use different references with there bullets.

svedra

Re: New year needs advise
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 07:50:30 AM »
I am not a bullet collector but sounds like a worthy endeavor.

LeonVa

• Email
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 12:54:17 PM »
I have a spreadsheet that has all of the M&M information as well as the T&T information.  Send me a PM and I can share it with you. It might not be exactly what you need but it would certainly be a place to start. I haven’t taken the time to add RBRF or Stelma to it.

AlaninTexas

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 06:15:37 PM »
Great, thank you very much for the help. I have sent you a PM with permanent information. What is Stelma? I am unfamiliar with that book? I am new at this hobby.

LeonVa

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 08:20:24 PM »
Some Civil War Bullets 2 is an out of print reference guide that was written by Tom Stelma. It has several bullets that aren’t pictured in many of the other guides most notably bullets from the Trans-Mississippi. Many of these Trans-Mississippi bullets can be seen on this forum if you search under the keyword “Taxonomy”

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 11:28:41 PM »
A long time ago, I created just such a spreadsheet.  I will email it to you now.

R. J. in LA

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 11:58:18 AM »
Leon and Mike, I would appreciate it very much if you would email me your spreadsheet examples. My email address is rjb@fenstermaker.com and look forward to seeing what you guys came up with. Thanks again.
R. J.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 12:19:43 PM »
Done. 

Also, Tom Henrique, who used to be active here but hasn't lately, had a database he sold inexpensively called BulletFile.  I searched for it and got this link:

http://www.baymediapro.com/bulletfile/

AlaninTexas

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 08:05:16 PM »
Okay guys the databases are in and I have begun the big task. First, thanks for all the input. Next I want to say that the bullet list I intend will be an ULTIMATE list, as I want to call it. The idea is to key every single entry that exist In the major bullet books, then cross reference each of the books by code (MM, RtRVolx, TT, etc). All supplemental info will be added and to show this difference in notes and corrections I will highlite this text in a different color. I will also add comments as shown in the various messages noted on this forum that corrects errors in earlier books. Once this has been entered, combined, shuffled, refined, I intend to send it to all interested for any comments or additions or changes needed. Once complete each of you can adjust the list as you wish for your own use. For instance, you can add other comments for your particular bullet or mark which bullets you have in your collection and what you paid for it. I see this ultimate computer list as a great addition for all us bullet enthusiasts. I will advise all of the status of this list as time goes by. In the mean time, if you have constructive advise, I’m open to receive all via this discussion format. Thanks, AlaninTexas.

AlaninTexas

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 08:13:37 PM »
I can be emailed at alan.mckeehan@hotmail.com.  AlaninTexas

R. J. in LA

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 09:08:56 PM »
Thanks Mike and Greg.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 01:14:32 PM »
Good info.  I thought it very much needed to be in the Bullet section and so moved it here.  Hope that was ok.
Best,
Carl

AlaninTexas

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 11:25:27 PM »
Thanks guys (Jimmy and Mike) for the Stelma pdf. All of the MM book data and the TT book data are now entered (Greg, your data set was incredible. I only had to add about 5 additional catagories). For now the next book to tackle will be the Stelma book. I intend to copy /paste the same formatted cells into tab 2. Then place the Stelma data into the tab 2 cells. Later, the various tabs (books) can be coordinated.    I noticed that in the MM book there are notes alluding to additional bullets at a different caliber, etc. etc. For now I am going to ignore these notes since I don’t have a numbering system (MM#) to tie them to. Later I might want to bring this information into the database.     My wife has many tasks lined up for me before we get the Texas heat, so stay tuned for more developments.