Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: New to the forum, A question from Blakley AL  (Read 3301 times)

Csovera

New to the forum, A question from Blakley AL
« on: February 26, 2019, 04:57:04 AM »
I recently returned from a trip to visit an old friend in Blakley Alabama. He showed me a relic that was recovered in what was thought to be a confederate cannon emplacement. It looks to be a cap for the cannon tube.   It was found on private property , not on or near the fort. He asked me if it was possible to tell what type of tube it came from. I tried to email Pete George, but the email address that I have  did not work. It could be 15 years old.  That is when I found your forum. I might be totally incorrect in my identification and I will deffer to people who know more than me. It will be 24 hrs before I will be able to check back on any replies.   Thank you for any help.

Csovera

another view
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 05:01:54 AM »
another view

Dave the plumber

• Email
Re: New to the forum, A question from Blakley AL
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 05:39:05 PM »
 I personally have never seen a trunnion cap like that, but maybe others have....   It might be earlier than civil war, as I personally am not aware of any CW ones that look like that with the appendages short like that. There was a lot of strain on a trunnion, taking the brunt of the discharge of the cannon.   
Some lathes and heavy equiptment had trunions , or anything that needed a 'bearing' surface might have them.              Welcome to the forums !!      David.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 05:41:37 PM by Dave the plumber »

Csovera

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 09:22:17 PM »
Do other caps have that lip at the end? if you notice there is one . I guess could be something else all together or in that part of the country -earlier. The ears are slightly offset also. I do not know how it looked in the picture but I would say 5/8 . I did not have my mike with me. It was heavy made. Was 10+ pounds .  I'm sorry if I posted a gate weight on my first post, but my friend wanted to know.  Seriously, Thank you for the reply.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 02:21:21 AM »
It looks old and appears to be cast iron.   I agree with David and don’t think it is any sort of trunnions cap.    Because of the leverage needed they had much longer ears.  The ones I’ve seen had ears that weren’t bolted on but had much stronger pin configurations.  Also add it easier to remove the tube when needed.
Best,
Carl

Csovera

Carl,
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 07:53:39 AM »
Thanks for the input. I will break the bad news. -Carleton

rommack

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 08:25:59 AM »
I believe it is a wagon Axle bearing strap. two were bolted together to hold the Axle to the wagon.   

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 06:25:15 PM »
I believe Rommack is right on!!!
Best,
Carl

Csovera

Thank you
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 10:13:24 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the id. Carleton