Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Pea Ridge Archaeology Report  (Read 2752 times)

callicles

• Email
Pea Ridge Archaeology Report
« on: February 09, 2019, 10:35:23 PM »
If you guys have not seen this, it is incredible. Each type of artifact recovered in the process is discussed in detail. The artillery discussions and descriptions alone (fragments, shells, fuses, etc) are worth the read. Good photographs too. I wonder if the experts here agree with findings? 

https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_books/peri/battle_raged.pdf?fbclid=IwAR2BCt_sqXyDoq1AcrYd3x9Bv3QdVPhdKuZ3uFEOXn6RQa-RJzjaC8ckFX8
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 05:54:48 PM by callicles »

svedra

Re: Perryville Archaeology Report
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 12:51:26 PM »
I think you meant pea ridge unless I missed something.  Great report and thanks for sharing.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Perryville Archaeology Report
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 04:30:26 PM »
That is neat.  I recognize a lot of the names in the forward section and some are even forumites.  All this Pea Ridge thinking has me scratching at my ankles remembering the hundreds of nasty chigger bites I got while walking in the fields looking at the cannons.

callicles

• Email
Re: Pea Ridge Archaeology Report
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 05:55:51 PM »
Your right, svedra. I corrected it above.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 06:44:25 PM »
"A planned expansion of the park maintenance facility in the spring of 2004 caused the park to clear some of the brush and trees to the west of Harcourt’s inventory area. A small field stone marker was located that appeared consistent with a grave. An upright stone slab had the letters SAM scratched on one side. The area was confirmed, by a former land owner, to be the site of the burial of his favorite cat, Sam."

Now THAT was funny.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 07:57:14 AM »
Thanks!  I love reading stuff like this.

Garret

• Email
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 02:56:36 PM »
Nice recovery of artillery shells, shots and fragments.   They're still out there waiting to be found!
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain