Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Authorities Confiscate Shell  (Read 3444 times)

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Re: Authorities Confiscate Shell
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 06:05:43 PM »
Sounds like theft to me.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 09:59:44 PM »
yeah it does to me too

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 02:03:37 PM »
Indeed, how about some compensation? 

smh, also what a knee jerk reaction by nearly everyone involved.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 06:38:48 PM »
Here is the argument for a court case. They confiscate it because it is dangerous to the public (B.S. I know) , but placed in a government museum for the public to go and see (assuming that is the case). They were simply robbed of personal and sentimental property. As a police Officer I am embarrassed. If I was ever called out to this I would do everything in my power to keep this from happening. I would make contact with A subject on this forum we all know and see about disarmament. I would pay for it myself before the government stole it.

Garret

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 08:24:05 PM »
Could happen to everyone who has a collection on this forum...all it takes is one misguided individual who sees your collection and a cell phone.   Next thing you know, this.
"Suppose you were an idiot.  And suppose you were a member of Congress.  But I repeat myself."  Mark Twain

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 12:22:24 PM »
Would take more than a forum with made up user names to get a warrant.

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 03:03:37 PM »
It is one reason I keep my relic room locked unless only personal friends are visiting.

Lamar

• Email
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 06:17:14 PM »
I may have mentioned this before - I wrote my local fire & police chiefs, telling them I had a number of projectiles at home & at the office, they were all harmless (non explosive or made inert), I didn't want anyone to over react to a harmless collection (as so many incompetent "experts" have done), & I'd be happy to let them inspect my collection.

There's a Confederate Bormann at a local courthouse, no one knows where it came from or why it is there - it's in a display case with a few other interesting items.  I provided a stand for it, & typed up a sheet (stored under the ball in the stand) explaining what type of shell it is, pointing out it has been drilled, flushed, & made inert, stating it should not be confiscated &/or destroyed for a non existing threat, & providing my telephone number if anyone had any questions.

My bro-in-law's wife's grandmother lived near Manassas, & had a found projectile on her mantle.  A local officer of the law found out about it, & did her the favor of removing that dangerous instrument of death.  I wonder if it was stupidly destroyed, or ended up on his mantle?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 09:29:34 PM by Lamar »

gflower

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 08:49:14 PM »
Had the same thing happen here in town when I was a young prosecutor at a construction site. The Bomb Squad showed up to "confiscate " the items found by the evening crew,  6 12 pounders and 2 canister rounds. I  in my digging gear offered to disarm them but was told they had it under control and I should leave these things to the experts. I waited two weeks and paid them a visit in my official capacity (as a senior attorney in the special prosecution unit) requesting to see the inventory documents and proof that they disarmed the ordinance. Got lots of blank stares and the mumbling shuffle until I started talking about official misconduct and unlawful compensation. Then a humble request for 24 hours to " retrieve the ordinance" from their oddly scattered locations! Seems that those dangerous relics found their way to a few fireplace mantles around town. As agreed the items were turned over and were donated to a museum. Can't imagine how many times this has happened under " Color of Authority". The post script is that the six 12lbers I found made their way into my pickup bed before the experts arrived! When hunting in urban areas I always dump my finds as offen as I can in the truck for that reason.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 10:55:47 PM »
Does seem highly illegal or at least unethical unless the family told them to take it and do what the wanted with it.  I would think they could get it back pretty easily if they didn’t offer it and wanted it. 
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 09:45:40 AM »
Well I know one police officer that would not over react and would pass on to the owner, info on qualified experts that would be glad to "make safe" any ordinance they had. And maybe even a fair offer if they wanted to sell.  ;D