Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Great Add To My Collection  (Read 6369 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Great Add To My Collection
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 04:19:15 PM »
Hello,

It has taken my much longer than I expected but here is what I wanted to add to WoodenHead's info.  The image below is one of the 3.25" Reads from Milledgeville that I got at the Gettysburg Show two years ago.  I recently had it cut to see what the inside looked like.   Most of the time when a shell is sectioned you get what you expect and it looks like most others.  Sometimes the blade goes in just the right place and you see something interesting such as the occasional time when a Hotchkiss is cut and the blade goes right down the casting nail and it is on display.  In the case of this Read the saw cut the sabot right at the point where the copper ring contained a hole.  This hole was there so it would be filled with iron through the hole to prevent the sabot from slipping and I suspect this is what Woodenhead referred to at the end of his next-to-last post (Jan. 12, 2019).  The pass through hole is seen on the bottom right of the cut surface.  The 2nd image is the outside of the shell so people can better visualize what type of shell this is.  They found a number of them in the river at Milledgeville, GA.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 06:46:28 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 04:22:30 PM »
Here is a close up of the pass through hole in the sabot.  Unfortunately the other half does not show really any sign of the hole as the blade just passed though the edge.
Best,
Carl

Woodenhead

• Email
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 11:22:32 AM »
I believe this is the sabot you have on your 3.3 inch Read shell. I strongly suspect it was made by Augusta Arsenal around early 1864. It should have 3 holes for iron to pass thru. The original Reads, as made by Deep South firms like Skates, had only 2 holes. Note the letter below mentions the inclusion of 3 holes in the sabot. With its use of a copper fuze plug, it should date no later than April or May of 1864 when a switch to wooden plugs was mandated by Richmond. The original Reads had die-struck copper sabots with no machining on the exposed high-band portion. This Read of yours appears to have a cast sabot carefully machined as described in the 2-page letter below from Jan. 1864. Augusta was doing extensive testing of 3 inch and 10 pdr. Parrott ammunition at this time and published the results. Please read this letter if you want insight into the contemporary thinking of top ordnance officers. It also discusses the successful testing of Girardey's percussion fuze. We know the invoice, below, listing 3.3 inch shells was from Augusta because they were "fixed." Only Augusta was fixing their rifled field ammunition as the CS Ord. Regs. called for separate cartridge bags.

Woodenhead

Woodenhead

• Email
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2019, 12:05:48 PM »
This Augusta sabot deserves a little more discussion. It was developed after much study and testing during the winter of 1863-64. The performance of the CS field artillery projectiles had been abysmal just recently at Chattanooga and Knoxville. Concerned officers like Olandowski and E. P. Alexander turned to Augusta rather than Richmond for assistance. A Board of Artillery Officers was convened at Augusta to test the current crop of projectiles and they published the results for all the Southern arsenals to benefit from. A single page excerpt is the first image, below. Note the 2nd paragraph describes this new shaped sabot with holes as pictured in the previous posting and seen on Carl's cut 3.3 inch shell. It should have been adopted across the entire South. It actually might have been picked up by a couple of Deep South arsenals. I do not know yet.  But, of course, this improved copper sabot was completely ignored in Richmond. Below are pictured two 10 pdr. Parrotts dug at Cold Harbor which might give the appearance of Virginia production - but don't be fooled. Know-it-all Col. Broun ignored Augusta's fine research and development, and instead came out with the "Tredegar Read" as a replacement for the 10 pdr. Parrott ammo, and the long rounded-nose 3 inch Broun shell with a copper band sabot to replace the Reads with the copper cups. Both were deeply flawed designs. The first Read-Parrott, pictured below, was found by Mac Mason, the second by Charles Burnette. Both clearly have Augusta's high-band copper sabot machined on the inside as described on the published page below. All of the Read-Parrott ammo made in Richmond used wrought iron. So, where did these variant shells come from? There are two possible explanations.
1) Maybe they arrived at Cold Harbor in the limbers of the artillery of the Army of Southern Virginia and North Carolina which had been hurried to Cold Harbor to reinforce the Army of Northern Virginia. This small army was regularly supplied by Augusta and the Charleston Arsenal.
2) During the spring 1864, the Richmond Arsenal begged the Deep South arsenals to forward all the field ammunition they could spare. Contemporary invoices show somebody sending "Fixed" 10 pdr. Parrott ammo to the Salisbury, NC, Depot for distribution in Virginia. Only Augusta was fixing their field ammo at that time.

This is the kind of in-depth info I am seeking for Lee's Thunderbolts. Its not good enough to just say... "another copper-saboted Read-Parrott from VA." Tom knew there was more to the story and encouraged Pete and I to pursue it. Another interesting feature of the two 10 pdrs. pictured below is the overall length of their iron bodies. An important conclusion of Augusta's Board of Artillery Officers was that the current 10 pdr. Parrott ammunition was too long causing many of them to tumble end-over-end even when the sabots took the rifling perfectly. The shells had to be shortened as you might notice were the two pictured below. Eventually, Col. Broun got the message causing him to shorten his 3 inch Broun ammunition and many of Richmond's 20 and 30 pounder Parrotts. I don't know if Richmond's 10 pdrs. were ever shortened but clearly Augusta shortened theirs, as seen below.

As an interesting aside, read the last paragraph on the printed page below. It discusses the "lubricating ring" i.e., the space between the copper cup and the iron bottom of the shell. It was definitely not a "safety groove," as it is described in current publications. I have found at least one other contemporary letter that also used the "lubrication ring" terminology. "Safety groove" is strictly a modern term based on the mistaken assumption that the Ordnance authorities (other then Augusta) carefully studied their sabots. Most did not.

I hope you find all this detail interesting.
Woodenhead

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2019, 06:42:14 PM »
Excellent thread.  Thank you for the information.

Carl is a good guy and has helped me a lot more than I have helped him.  Recently, he found this rifled 12pdr Tennessee sabot bolt for me.  It is the same one shown in Jack Bell's book.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2019, 04:20:55 PM »
That is a very neat and rare projectile.  I once had a similar bolt but it had a copper ring sabot on it.  I let it go and am not sure where it is but think you (Mike) may actually have it.  The very neat thing about your Mullane and the Read I had is that they are not cast iron but wrought iron.  You can see the striations in your image.  I had the same with my bolt.  While I'm sure they are much harder to manufacture they would absorb the impact against a hard surface better and not break apart.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 04:22:12 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl