Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Mullane shell  (Read 2947 times)

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Mullane shell
« on: January 10, 2019, 08:20:00 PM »
I've noticed a large amount of the Mullane shells I have seen over time has the sabot either torn away or bent to one side. My question. How effective were they in serving its purpose in giving the shell the desired spin. Did it effect accuracy in any way? 
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

Woodenhead

• Email
Re: Mullane shell
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 12:59:29 PM »
By the fall of 1861, lead shortages in Richmond had become so acute that Tredegar warned that they might have to cease the production of Archer and other lead-saboted projectiles. This was the primary reason for the abandonment of the Archer. In response, around Oct. 1861 Col. Gorgas sent a memorandum to all Southern arsenals declaring the Read shell with a cast-in iron cup would be adopted as the standard for both heavy and field ammunition. Samson & Pae had already started the production of 3.35 inch Read shells for the reamed & rifled old iron 4 pounder guns. It had a pre-rifled wrought iron sabot as Dr. Read prescribed at that time. But so many of the current 3 inch Rifles were bronze guns, the Ordnance authorities decided a new shell must be adopted with a softer copper sabot so as to wear out the bores as quickly as iron. In Dec. 1861, they announced a new projectile for all calibers from 2 1/4 inch Mountain Rifle Gun to the 4.62 inch Rifle Siege Guns, with copper disc sabots supposedly based on Dr. Read's patented design. The concept had been brought to them by a Mr. Mullane, a civilian ordnance worker from Tennessee. In fact, Dr. Read's 1856 patent mentioned the possibility of bolting an expanding cup onto the iron bottom of a projectile, but he did not recommend it. The geniuses headquartered in Richmond believed they were introducing a fine "Read" projectile. They ignored the drawings and reports coming from the Deep South showing the excellent performance of Dr. Read's cast-in copper cups. And thus, we got the beautiful, but inferior, series of Mullane projectiles. At the time, Tredegar was casting nearly all field-caliber rifle shells and they switched from making Archers to Mullanes in mid-February 1862.

The concept wasn't entirely bad as they were supposed to use a 5 inch diameter piece of sheet copper formed like a saucer to fit into a 3 inch bore. Theoretically, that would allow the sabot to expand laterally into the rifling when it was driven forward by the propellant charge. This was an essential part of Dr. Read's design as can be seen in the high-band configuration of his Deep South Read sabots. But in practice, as can be seen on hundreds of excavated examples, the disc was compressed and driven forward leaving a narrow edge of copper to catch the rifling. The foundries were ordered to adopt Read's superior cast-in copper cup in August 1862. Some continued to make these Mullanes into the late fall of 1862 (see the last page pictured below). I have found no evidence of any test firing in VA except for when they proofed new guns. Yes, the sabots frequently ripped off but I suspect their primary problem had to due with faulty fuzes. A limited supply of large caliber Mullanes continued to be made until the end of the war. At some point in 1864, the heavy copper sabots were replaced by iron which reportedly worked just as well. The 3 inch Mullane or "Tennessee sabot" shell was primarily made in VA. For the first few months, they had no flame grooves. Most of the Deep South foundries made actual Read projectiles instead as they were set up by the inventor.

Additional info can be found in the captions, below. Over the years, I have been fortunate to find three 3 inch Mullanes.

Woodenhead 

Woodenhead

• Email
Re: Mullane shell
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 12:50:02 PM »
This seems like a good opportunity to discuss the "side-loaders" with the access hole below the top bourrelet. Over the years I have photo'ed so many that I have been able to arrive at some conclusions. Look at the last page I posted in the previous section. It is a rare 3 inch Mullane with lead plug below the top bourrelet. The first Mullane shown below was cast from the same mold pattern - also with plug below bourrelet. I believe I shot it at the old Loyal Legion Museum in Phila. These were not Tredegar Mullanes. Tredegar cast nearly all the Mullanes made prior to the summer of 1862 (about 8 - 10,000). This pattern has not been excavated on the Peninsula or 7-Days battle areas. I am fairly certain they were cast at the end of 1862 by Deane & Son of Lynchburg. In an Oct. 1862 communication, Deane asks Richmond for sheet copper so they can begin making Mullanes per the request of the Arsenal. Tredegar cast its last Mullane in August 1862. Afterwards, they stopped making rifled field projectiles. We have their monthly production records.

Like Rham and some of the other foundries, Deane sent their shells in unfinished condition down the canal to be reamed and threaded by a subcontractor - in this case Somers & Baker. Beginning on Dec. 1, 1862, S & B made all the side-holes and a majority of the copper fuze plugs (about 20,000) found in a few Mullanes, and many Reads and Read-Parrotts - primarily those dug at Chancellorsville and Gettysburg. At least one well-known foundry, Richmond's Samson & Pae, finished their own shells and none are side-loaders.

Evidently, for the first week or two, Somers & Baker drilled their side holes low on the shell bodies. They were soon advised by the Richmond Arsenal responsible for loading the case-shot balls and powder to raise the position of the side holes. that explains why the second shell, pictured below, cast from the same Deane mold pattern as the first, has its lead plug positioned above the bourrelet. This was all done in early December 1862, the start of a well documented six-month govt. contract with Somers & Baker. The same juxtaposition can be seen with the final two 3-inch Reads pictured below. At the same time Deane was delivering his Mullanes, most of the other foundries were sending in Reads to be finished. Some appear to have been casting 3 inch Reads as early as Sept. 1862. Foundries were ordered to adopt the cast-in copper cup at the end of August 1862. Some made the switch more quickly than others.

As for the inset head of the adapters, I have no smoking gun except logic. McEvoy's fuze igniter was being introduced at that time. Evidently, they realize that the igniters would set comfortably on the exposed fuze heads.

Woodenhead