Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Mystery .69 caliber bullet  (Read 2375 times)

Icewing

Mystery .69 caliber bullet
« on: April 08, 2019, 10:33:11 AM »
Hello again everyone.

I recently found this fired and impacted .69 caliber bullet on private property that boarders the Pea Ridge National Military Park. The bullet was roughly 500 feet outside the park boundary in an open field.

I noticed right away that the base of the bullet was different from others that I had found but my knowledge and resources are limited to what I can find online, which isn't much.

I posted it on another forum but never really got to any definitive conclusion as to its identity.

"TheCannonballGuy" recommended that I post pics and measurements here.

My scale only weighs in grams and it's a cheap one so, +/- 0.1 grams would not be unreasonable.

Weight: 41.4 grams (~639 grains)
Impacted length: 0.85"
Diameter: 0.69"
Hole Diameter: 0.25"
Hole depth: (approximately) 0.25"

Icewing

Re: Mystery .69 caliber bullet
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 10:34:55 AM »
Here are a few more pics

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 04:48:59 PM »
There is a scarce, flat bottomed 69 caliber bullet that has a small hole like this in the base that has been found in Port Hudson and Vicksburg.  It is one of the bullets on my want list.  Below is a screenshot of the closest one I can find, but I have seen them with smaller holes -- I think Lt12pdr has one from Port Hudson he bought from a lady there before I could close the deal.

Icewing

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 05:39:38 PM »
Thanks for the tip emike123.

Unfortunately with that being all I have to go on, and me being g a layman,  it looks like this one may go down as an unsolved mystery.

Any other advice or insight is welcome.

Do I get naming rights for my new discovery, and is it worth a small fortune? (kidding of course)?

Thanks for looking everyone!
Icewing