Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: My first from long ago  (Read 3047 times)

Beltplate53

• Email
My first from long ago
« on: December 08, 2018, 02:16:01 PM »
This is the first shell that started it all and the only one not Gettysburg related. 12lb Borman that was found in a ladies back yard in Fedricksburg, Va..

alwion

• Email
Re: My first from long ago
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 08:26:42 AM »
mine was a 5 ball for $350 deal from a dealer, had to drive 4 hrs to pick them up. 12 round, 12 cs wood fuse, borman, hotchkiss, and a parrot. he hates artillery still and doesn't deal in it, so was probably my best deal ever, except a 4lb a friend just gave me

redbob

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 10:09:00 AM »
A 10# Parrott that I bought at a gun show, I only wanted a single Civil War Shell for my collection; but the "iron flu" hit me and it's been downhill ever since -and I wouldn't have had it any other way... :P

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 01:57:18 PM »
Long ago I started relic hunting with a friend and enjoyed all the finds I made.  They were all neat.  But then one day I found a 12-lber solid shot in a wash.  Instantly became focused on artillery and still am one might say.  My friend found one that day too.
Best,
Carl

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 09:54:57 PM »
3.4 Hotchkiss I found at Ft Fisher about 40 years ago. it still looks pretty good. Has a sabot but no fuse

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 08:24:23 AM »
I bought a 12 lb Bormann fuzed ball, minus the fuze,  from Gettysburg ( back before there became a premium for Gettysburg items ) when I was 12 years old, for $12. That was almost 49 years ago - still got it ! Plus a few hundred more now....
  Also, bought a Merrill carbine for $12.50 back then at an antique shop....   still got it !  They had a barrell of guns, and a barrel of swords. I bought the carbine, cause at 12 years old, it fit me to play with.  I can only imagine what might have been in those barrels ....
   First shell I ever dug was a 200 lb Parrott with a friend here on the forums. Quite a way to start digging shells !

rommack

• Email
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 08:47:01 AM »

Mine was a 20 lb. Parrott half buried in a chicken yard in Port Hudson in 1957, Hell the (War) had not been over long enough for it to get rusty !LoL