Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Bullet displays  (Read 3387 times)

R. J. in LA

Bullet displays
« on: November 23, 2018, 09:44:23 PM »
Need some help from the Lead Heads. I heard that the riker cases with felt and foam are not good to display your bullets in because it will eventually harm the patina of bullets displayed in them. If these can't be used what are you guys using? Mike, Michael, Wes, and the other lead heads, let me know what you use. Thanks in advance.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Re: Bullet displays
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 07:19:27 AM »
I'm not a lead head but I do know from experience, and we discussed it on here several years ago, That displaying bullets in contact with wood does damage the patina. The tannic acid in the wood breaks down the patina. I had several bullets loose there nice patina due to standing them up on a shelf made from pine wood. I'm not sure about the riker cases. I did have some in some years ago and didn't notice any problems. I have them in the wooden and glass displays now that has the foam material. The ones you can buy at the shows. Have noticed any issues.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

Dr. Beach

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 06:41:11 PM »
Hi R.J.:

I have done well with Riker cases (using the cotton insert and the glass to hold gently the bullet in its place).

Horace

R. J. in LA

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 04:42:42 PM »
Thanks Horace and speedenforcer. I may take a photo of my riker cases to show the types of cases I have.

Selma Hunter

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 08:09:56 AM »
Gentlemen,

The attached images comprise a clear indicator of what happens to lead when exposed to certain environments that include wood.  The bullets pictured here were river recoveries from the Alabama River in Selma.  They were placed in a museum there at some point before 1974. The case was for the most part undisturbed during the intervening years.   This photo was taken in about 2005 during my first research trip back to Selma.  Further to the topic, when asking about the phenomena one source indicated that a number of highly detailed and superbly crafted ships models placed in a number of the museums had been subjected to the same chemical deterioration.  Most of the models were in wood framed glass cases and employed numerous carved and cast pieces made of lead.  Cases were subsequently "metalised" and the problems were largely resolved.  As can be seen in these photos direct contact between wood and lead can be disastrous. 

The article in the link following can add to this discussion.

http://www.thenrg.org/resources/articles/Lead%20corrosion%20in%20ship%20models.pdf
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 12:10:16 PM by Selma Hunter »

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 04:26:58 PM »
Oh my. Get that cannon ball in some electrolysis.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

divedigger

• Email
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 05:25:53 PM »
interesting