Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: A Field Guide to THE ARTILLERY OF VICKSBURG NATIONAL MILITARY PARK  (Read 6551 times)

Selma Hunter

All,

A Field Guide to THE ARTILLERY OF VICKSBURG NATIONAL MILITARY PARK by Elizabeth Hoxie Joyner.  Spiral bound profusely illustrated and sporting a magnificent finish with good a mix of high gloss b/w & color images.  About 487 pages. 

Elizabeth was the curator for the NPS at the VNMP for well over 30 years.  She is the "Go TO" person for anyone working on that place!  Aside from all the rest she is a bona fide Southern Lady and a delightful person to deal with.

I cannot say enough about Elizabeth and her outstanding work on all three of her books I have seen. 

Thank you Elizabeth!

misipirelichtr

• Email
Re: A Field Guide to THE ARTILLERY OF VICKSBURG NATIONAL MILITARY PARK
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 07:10:37 PM »
I admit to living off the beaten path, but I've tried to Google and otherwise locate this book on the internet without success.  Is it a new publication?  I have her book on artifacts from the USS Cairo, and I agree she is a talented and informative author.  Any help you could provide on locating her Vicksburg artillery book would be appreciated.  Thanks!

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 12:24:29 AM »
Yes, it is just now being published and will be out very soon.  Thanks to Selma Hunter I am working with her and hope to offer it for her on our website.
Best,
Carl

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 12:13:06 AM »
It has been published and is available.  See details at:
     http://www.bulletandshell.com/Items/item.php?id=L00036
I've not seen it yet but when I do will pass on some more information.
Best,
Carl

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 03:09:45 PM »
Thanks Carl.  Interestingly, I stopped by Vicksburg National Park Visitor's Center this past Saturday to inquire about this book and 4 folks at the Visitors Center hadnever heard of it, including one person that said they went to church with Elizabeth.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 12:46:40 AM »
Interesting.  I'll have to ask her what is up with that!
Best,
Carl

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 08:10:38 AM »
They have a copy down there.  It is caught up in the bureaucracy that things go through these days.   In this case it is the process that is followed to get a book on the shelves at the parks.  Her reply was:

"Thank you for letting me know. The Park was provided a copy weeks ago and it is currently under review. All new publications have to undergo a review process. Unfortunately it won’t be a quick process though. I am working with Eastern National, the cooperating association who provides sales items for the park, to make it available. I had hoped to have it on sale there before Christmas but was told it will take a little time to make this happen. I visited the Park yesterday and was told it is in the works so I am hopeful that this will be resolved soon. "
Best,
Carl

misipirelichtr

• Email
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 05:44:46 PM »
Thanks Carl, for following up.  Seems that life is getting so complicated these days.  One tidbit that I did pick up last week is that of the 150+ original cannon tubes in the Park, only two are verified as being there in 1863 for the seige.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 06:28:17 AM »
I wanted to share with everyone that the author has found a new printer that is much more economical and the book is now offered at 65% off for $40!!!  This is a great deal.
Best,
Carl