Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Cool Frag  (Read 4969 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Cool Frag
« on: October 28, 2018, 10:44:33 PM »
Hello,

I bought a bunch of shells some months back and with it were a few frags.  This one I didn't think much of other than it being a nice Parrott base with a brass sabot.  But then I noticed in the powder cavity side there appeared to be some sort of disk protrusion in the dirt of the base.  See below the pictures of it after I washed it off.  Anyone know what it might be?
Best,
Carl

pipedreamer65

• Email
Re: Cool Frag
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 03:48:12 PM »
hey, that's pretty cool, secret compartment I guess... lol...

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 06:10:18 PM »
Experimental perhaps????????
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 09:55:48 PM »
I'm a bit surprised someone hasn't jumped on this although today I did get a private message that correctly knew what it was.  Actually it is very common.  It is the bottom of the tin can that held the powder charge in some Parrott shells.  Some tar got under the can and held onto the bottom while the sides blew away when it went off.  Unfortunately when I power washed it the water knocked it loose as you can see below.  I've always been amazed how such a small charge could blow apart the shell and scatter the case in a deadly fashion.
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 10:24:48 AM »
 :-[  I didn't think of that.

callicles

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 11:00:05 AM »
That is very interesting. Thanks for posting. Did Bartelson ever draw a diagram showing this can, or is there a cut away of a shell showing the can? I’m just trying to visualize it and am having difficulty. Anyhow, thanks!

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 12:16:35 PM »
Here are a couple pics of two shells I have that show some use of the powder can. 

The first is one I found that hit a rock and didn't explode but fortunately for me it cracked open showing the construction contents.  While you can't see the tin tube going down into the can, much of the power can is intact.  It is just as I found it.

The 2nd one is one that exploded but blew out the side.  If you look into the shadowed interior you will see in the matrix in the shell bottom a round hole about 1/2 inch deep where the can had been.  The rest of the shell has cracks and almost blew apart.

I don't have a half shell of one but I need to get one.  I'm sure someone on this forum has a good example they could post a picture of.  I understand that in Jack Melton's new half shell book there is a picture on page 272.  BTW, while I haven't seen it, I'm sure this book will be a must for all serious artillery collectors.   I get mine in Richmond in two weeks.  See our sales site in the literature section for info on getting the book.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 12:17:54 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 12:33:04 PM »
Here is one in a 10pdr:

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 03:26:26 PM »
Thanks Mike.  Nice half.  You comment makes me curious if it was ever used in a 20-lber or other size?  I don't think I've ever seen the powder can in the bottom of a 20-lber.
Best,
Carl

callicles

• Email
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 07:25:40 PM »
Wow!! Thanks Carl and eMike!!

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 07:44:10 PM »
No problem.  Gladly.

It may just be the way the slice went but Mike's looks to have more sulfur than case balls in it.
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2018, 07:50:43 PM »
is that a sprue on the one in lower left giving it and odd shape?

alwion

• Email
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 07:29:17 AM »
so the charge was golf ball size?

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 08:24:07 AM »
SpeedEnforcer:   The balls do look like they are irregular and not standard round balls in Mike's example.  Pretty neat.

Alwion: The charge is a tinned can that is, based on my examples, 1" in diameter and 1.75" long.  There is a iron sheet metal tube that comes down from the fuse to direct the ignition into the can.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:25:57 AM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 08:11:06 AM »
With regards to my question about 20-lbers or other sizes having a tin powder can like the one in the 10-lber I had part of the answer in my own collection.  Below is an image of a half I got from Mike.  Note the drill path lined by the tin sleeve.  In this case the can runs from the fuse to the shell bottom.  It makes sense since the can and the case balls have to be inserted through the standard size fuse hole.  The 20-lber would need more powder to adequately explode and drilling this big of a path still leaves good room for there to be adequate numbers of case shot left.

Note: I keep saying tin but I'm sure it is more accurately either sheet metal or tinned steel. 
Best,
Carl