Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Woodenhead reveal this mystery, please!  (Read 2661 times)

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Woodenhead reveal this mystery, please!
« on: October 15, 2018, 07:22:32 PM »
I got these 2 three inch Mullane shells from our friend down in F-burg who was convinced they had unusual percussion fuses in them.  Carl thinks someone jammed a Spencer cartridge in the one on the left and the one on the right could be a common fuse adapter that has simply lost its head flange.  Can you enlighten us on these specimens?

Woodenhead

• Email
Re: Woodenhead reveal this mystery, please!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 06:41:04 PM »
Hi Mike, I was very impressed when Keith K. purchased that Mullane with remains of a percussion fuze that you now own. I had an opportunity to examine both shells when they were on the market. I suspect the shorter one has a Spencer or some other cartridge lodged in the hole. I believe that it was cast from Tredegar's standard pattern. But I have never encountered a Mullane body like the one with the percussion fuze. I don't believe it is a damaged copper fuze plug, the opening looks just right for a slider. The CS Navy loved shells with percussion fuzes. So, my current theory is that it was made in 1862 for one of the CS Navy's 3 inch Rifles (just like the Army's but banded like a Parrott). During 1862, the CS Naval Ordnance Works began casting (and ordering from contractors) their own field and heavy ammo. It is a very unusual mold pattern. Congrats on adding it to your fine collection.

Below is a page I made for you Mullane. When you have time, I need 1) its body length (not including sabot). 2) Was the fuze made of white metal or brass? 3) where was it supposedly found?

Thanks, Woodenhead

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 12:29:34 PM »
Thank you, Mike.

It is 7" long, as best I can tell the fuse material is brass, and the fuse hole opening is 0.88 at its widest with the fuse body itself being a little narrower than that (so not a common CS adapter that is busted off).  I will have to look through my records for the recovery location.

alwion

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 06:02:31 PM »
neat