Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Paper time fuses  (Read 3755 times)

Joe Walker

• Email
Paper time fuses
« on: October 14, 2018, 03:28:04 PM »
Paper time fuses are usually described as tightly wound paper.  I get that.  However, what is the metal pieces on the top and bottom of a fuse, and are they part of a metal "core" that the paper is wrapped around?  Is the "core" a wooden dowel perhaps?  Has anyone unwound a fuse, and if so is there a photo of same?  I'm not unwinding mine!   Thanks.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Paper time fuses
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 11:28:53 PM »
I'm not aware of any metal at the top and bottom.  Is this a CS or US fuse?  Is it brass, copper or ferrous?  Of course a picture would help.  Are they like these that Mike has for sale on our sales site?
Best,
Carl

Joe Walker

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 08:25:17 AM »
Yes, they are the "standard" paper fuses of which I have 4-5 plus an un-opened 4 sec pack.  If you look at the top and on the bottom, there is some sort of metallic tip at each end with the larger at the top.  I have always wondered if the paper was wrapped around a dowel and just how these things were made. To me, it appears that the paper had to be wrapped around something.  I assume the paper was treated with a chemical to help with ignition.  In other words, if you were asked how the fuses were made, what would you answer?   Thanks, Carl.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 10:23:53 AM »
There is no dowel in the middle of a common paper time fuse.  The paper is wrapped around a core of hardened powder.  I listed one theat has been cut down on the website over the weekend where you can see the center:

http://www.bulletandshell.com/Items/item.php?id=U00564

Joe Walker

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 12:12:44 PM »
Thanks!

Selma Hunter

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 08:42:50 AM »
All,

According to Benet in "Ordnance Memorandum No. 21" USGPO 1878 paper time fuzes [1] are rolled paper on wooden form (from cut paper pattern), glued, varnished, placed in a brass mold, ignition materials driven with a .35" steel rod (dowel), in stages, using a 1/2 pound mallet.  Burning rates are determined by various mixtures and subsequent experimentation.  Additional details apply but that is a general outline of the process.

[1] First item in "Errata" calls for "Fuze" to be changed to "Fuse".  Errata page also calls for a 4.5" gun note if I read it right.  Perhaps this will get the attention of some of the folks trying to find the mysterious tube sizes.

Joe Walker

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 03:25:30 PM »
Your post is very revealing.  I have a piece of a polygonal CS shell that includes the fuse plug.  In it is a piece of the paper time fuse.  It is about 1" long, and is hollow.  I am still looking for just what purpose that "cap" is on the top (large end) of the fuse and the bottom piece. Based on your post, it is apparently there to hold the combustion material in the hollow of the fuse- I think.

Thanks

Joe Walker

• Email
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 08:46:51 PM »
After close examination, it is quite obvious that what I thought were "metal" pieces on each end of the fuse are actually some sort of a hard "plug".  This would make sense.  They are to enclose the explosive that is in the core of the fuse.  Now I think I have the overall picture of a paper time fuse.