Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Cannonball help needed  (Read 2356 times)

James

Cannonball help needed
« on: October 11, 2018, 10:43:18 PM »
This is my first post and thank you for having me. I hope my pictures show up since I'm having trouble resizing them but hopefully even if they don't I am giving enough information for someone to help. I recently acquired this cannonball and need some help. I originally thought it was a 6 pound wood drive in fuse cannonball by the description I was given but after comparing it to a 6 pounder I have it is larger but not large enough to be a 12 pound wood drive in fuse ball. The diameter is 3.96 inches and the weight is 3.535 pounds. The side wall seems thin to me also at 5/16 of an inch. I'm showing pictures of it next to a 6 pounder for comparison. I'm leaning toward a 9 pound rev war ball but this is only a guess since I haven't been able to find an tables for rev war balls. Any help would very much appreciated. James

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
Re: Cannonball help needed
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 10:25:37 AM »
In volume II of Col. Biemick's Encyclopedia of Black Powder5 Artillery Projectiles, the 9pdrs are all over 4" in diameter.  He writes on page 430 that "there is no direct evidence that the French produced a shell in this (8pdr) caliber, but it likely existed" and "It was likely 3.99" in diameter."  It seems a bit large to be a grenade.  I didn't see any that big in a brief look at his Volume IV which covers grenades.

James

Re: Cannonball help needed
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 03:40:46 PM »
Thank you for the reply Mike. This one has me stumped. James