Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Cotton Mill Relic  (Read 4014 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Cotton Mill Relic
« on: September 24, 2018, 06:26:05 AM »
My wife and I visited a local park for some kayaking and hiking yesterday.  It also happened to have preserved site on the river with the ruins of the New Manchester Manufacturing Company.  It was a cotton mill that began making cloth for CS Uniforms, canteen covers, etc. during the Civil War.  This resulted in it being torn down by Union forces when Sherman's troops came to visit and it was never rebuilt.  It is now well out in the woods and requires a half mile walk to get to it.  A local preservation group has done a really nice job of taking care of it.  Thought I'd share a couple pictures of the mill remains sitting on Sweetwater Creek just west of Atlanta.  Note on the bottom of the image of the story board how the workers there were uprooted sent to the Ohio Valley.  This same thing happened to another mill in Roswell, GA.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 06:33:16 AM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

svedra

Re: Cotton Mill Relic
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 06:29:15 PM »
Cool.  Thanks for sharing.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 08:05:14 PM »
wow very cool. is kayaking down the river the only way to get to it or is there a way to drive too it. I did notice that you said there is a half mile walk. I guess the question is, can you drive to the walking part or do you have to go down river to get to the walking part?
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 09:43:27 PM »
The park has some camping areas and parking spots where you can fish in the lake, etc.  From these there is a trail that follows the river down from the lake to the mill.  The mill is on the river sitting at the bottom of some shoals.  It diverted the water around the shoals via a sluice to turn the big paddle wheel to run the machines.   The mill is about 1/2 mile below the place you could park.  Park visitors can't drive there although there is a narrow gravel park road/trail that does go there that is used by the rangers and people who care for the ruins.  You could kayak to a point a few hundred yards above the mill but there the shoals start and it is quite rocky.   Getting to the mill via kayak would not be terribly hard but getting back up the shoals would be a heck of an effort.

Here are a couple more images.  These are from the hill above the river.  In the first image you can see where the diverted water enters the mill on the left through the archway.  The water would fall two floors over the wheel down to the river to generate the power needed to do the work.  The mill building was 5 stories high.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 09:45:52 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 10:04:27 PM »
Here is an arial view to give you an idea of the river situation:
     https://i.ytimg.com/vi/R28AAGE99jo/hqdefault.jpg
The water entered the upper left of the mill via a canal coming through the trees in the upper left of the view.
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 08:57:56 AM »
WOW, Very cool.

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 07:33:54 PM »
eyeball any relics ??!!    Whitworth bullet ??

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 08:18:10 PM »
Not if it is government land he didn't.  ::)  LOl.  See I got your back Carl.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 08:19:37 PM by speedenforcer »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 10:36:20 PM »
David:  No, no relics eyeballed.    You know there are some there.  The museum had a few; see below.  Notice anything odd or wrong?

Jay: Thanks!  State, not federal property, so not nearly as bad to get caught on but still not something I'd like to experience.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 10:38:48 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

Dave the plumber

• Email
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 06:43:42 AM »
button guys gotta start collecting 'eye' buttons, I guess...

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 08:50:49 AM »
Dave: Good eye!!  ;)

Pointed out below for anyone who might not have noticed it.
Best,
Carl

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 09:03:06 AM »
Here is another couple, and my last, images to share on this thread.  This is a crate of Enfield rifle muskets and some associated tools recovered from the CSS Stono in Charleston Harbor.  It is undergoing conservation.  They appear to be allowing the salts to leach into the water from the metal and wood which they frequently change.  The process will continue until there are minimally measured mounts in the bath.  Then I guess whatever is deemed the best preservation process at the time will be used to stabilized the wood and any remaining metal.
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2018, 04:33:37 PM »
Yes,  Eye saw that. Eye wonder who was in charge of building that display. Eye would have a talk with them about it.