Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Things to not take on the airplane..........  (Read 3018 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Things to not take on the airplane..........
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 04:54:23 PM »
Wow, hope the owner didn't loose that Mullane (Tennessee Sabot) shell. That's a nice one.  The Instagram comments made me chuckle.  People talking like they are experts and saying cannon balls don't explode even though there is a fuse hole right there in the picture.

Thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 04:55:27 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

redbob

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 06:58:30 PM »
I'm not really sure why, but when I was working at Fort Sill; everytime that I flew out, I got the most thorough baggage (and person) search of any places that I have ever been. I also have to chuckle because I remember reading somewhere that Tom Dickey used to fly back with the projectiles that he had dug and even though it was pre 9/11 it still seemed unbelievable that nothing was said.

AndrewK

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 08:12:56 PM »
Heh, I enjoyed reading the comments, even if they weren't that well informed.  Then again, neither was the TSA itself.  "Mortar" round.

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 01:57:35 PM »
I was going through the rather tight security into the Ronald Reagan building in DC where my office is when I realized that my backpack had a Schenkl shell in it that I was going to show someone later in the day. My bag was just going into the Xray when I grabbed it, said, forgot something!, and exited out the door.

I still wonder what they would have done if they had seen that shell in the Xray.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 10:11:19 PM »
Scott: That could have made for a long day and lots of explaining to do.
Best,
Carl