Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Help Needed With Proper Designation  (Read 3322 times)

callicles

• Email
Help Needed With Proper Designation
« on: May 12, 2018, 12:54:55 PM »
I thought I had asked this before several years back but can’t find it.

I dug a 3.3” Selma Bolt a few years back. Often, when I tell folks about it, they inevitably ask “What was a 3.3” gun called?” Or they’ll say “I’ve never heard of a 3.3” gun, are you sure that’s what kind of shell you found?”

So what do I say?  Was there another common designation of 3.3” guns?

Thanks.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Help Needed With Proper Designation
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 11:43:31 PM »
Hello,

First off, congrats on finding a very neat and uncommon shell.

Not sure I know the detailed answer to your question but I can add this:
- The 1993 D&G book on page 533 shows a bore diameter of 3.25 and 3.3 inch for a Confederate rifle
- You'll note the Archers in the book are listed for the 3.3-inch Gun. 
- There are some Reads listed (page 267-269) for the 3.25-inch Gun but in parenthesis it also says "or 3.3" Rifle".  Note that these Read shells have long sabots and thus even though they are around 3.18" in diameter the sabot could still expand the extra 0.08".
- In Jack bell's Heavy Artillery book he has a list of "Civil War Cannon Rifling".  It shows a"3.25 CS Rifle" with the number of grooves listed as "Unknown" but the reference on this entry is the D&G book.  He also lists a 3.3-inch CS gun by Leeds with either 5 or 7 grooves and a US Parrott gun with 12 grooves.  I seem to recall the Parrott version is on the grounds of the Citadel in Charleston.
- The Archer shells from Manassas actually measure 3.3" in diameter so could not fit into a 3.25-Inch gun and not easily into a 3.3-Inch gun.  John Biemeck indicates in his books that these were actually for the rifled 4-lber which could accommodate it.

I hope this helps.  I went farther than just the Selma shell but as I was looking in my books on this subject I thought the info worth sharing.  In short the 3.3-inch gun for the Confederates was a gun made by Leeds but there are other guns that are in that mix as well.  Does your shell have sufficient rifling such that you can count the number of grooves of the gun that fired it?  It is likely 5 or 7 it seems.
Best,
Carl

callicles

• Email
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 10:26:54 AM »
Thanks Carl for taking the time to post such good information. It is much appreciated!  The rifling on it is slight, and I’ve never really got magnifying glasses and tried to find out. I will do that soon and see if I can determine the number.

The other problem I run into is that The Vicksburg Park does not list a single 3.3” gun serving there.  Mine was found on private property and I’m sure the cannon that fired mine eventually retreated into Vicksburg. In the ORs the Confederate Chief of artillery lists that only two 3.3” served there.  But we know they were used at Vicksburg. So when I talk about a 3.3”, people often site to me that there is no such listing at Vicksburg, and again question me as to whether I’m sure that’s what I have. It’s kind of frustrating.

Anyway, thanks again!

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 09:50:51 PM »
No problem; glad to help.  Interesting subject.  I look forward to hopefully hearing what you were able to determine on the rifling count.  Good luck!

I looked a bit to find a comprehensive list of artillery used at Vicksburg but no luck.  I have found a few shells around Vicksburg but no 3.25/3.3-inch shells.  Sure wish I had!  Hopefully Pete or one of the more knowledgeable posters can add the missing info.
Best,
Carl

callicles

• Email
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 10:01:54 PM »
Thanks Carl. Here is the list from the ORs indicating two 3.3” guns that served during the siege.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 11:29:55 AM »
I spoke to a digger who digs a lot around the Vicksburg campaign and he said there was two locations he knew of a 3.3-inch gun being used.  He wouldn't divulge any detail as he still digs.  But it appears you know where one of them is since you found a shell of that caliber.
Best,
Carl

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 02:37:44 PM »
callicles, could you provide the full name of the book you copied the page from in the previous post outlining what artillery was on the field.  Thanks much.
It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee

callicles

• Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 08:02:05 PM »
It is found in ORs, vol. 24, pt. 2, p. 336

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 09:16:28 PM »
Thanks