Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: WWII Soldier Research  (Read 2460 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
WWII Soldier Research
« on: April 22, 2018, 08:55:22 AM »
I realize this is off topic in that it concerns more modern wars but I know a number of our forumites have interest in WWI and WWII as well.  Hopefully someone can help with some direction and it may also be of use to others.  I have a friend who recently purchased a WWII flag that was signed by a number of US servicemen but with no indication of their unit.  He is hoping to figure that out.  He went to the National Archives and was told he could not research anyone who was not a family member so he can't look up any names on there.  Does anyone know if there is a back door way to get the needed info or an alternate way to figure it out?
Best,
Carl

jonpatterson

• Email
Re: WWII Soldier Research
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 06:13:16 PM »
A fire in 1973 at the National Personnel Records Center (St. Louis) damaged or destroyed 16-18 million Army and Air Force records that documented the service history of former military personnel discharged from 1912-1964. So research is going to be quite hindered. Supposedly records are no longer sealed or limited to family once 62 years has passed since the person was discharged. www.archives.gov/veterans  may provide some ideas of how to search what is available. Also, genealogy websites may be able to provide information, but usually for a fee and with just a name would be a long shot.

Perhaps if they tried Googling (or I prefer dogpile.com) a combination of two names something will pop up of value.   Just an idea.
It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee

njdigger

• Email
Re: WWII Soldier Research
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 07:16:07 PM »
Carl, A good site to go to is the national wwii memorial web site and search the registry. A family member would register a ww2 veterans name on the site with a brief service record, soldiers rank, unit, battles etc. depending on the info the family member has.  It also has the name of the person that registered the vets name, so you can do additional research and possibly contact the family member. It is all free. Hope this helps. Ed