Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Interesting James fragments  (Read 2240 times)

Dave the plumber

• Email
Interesting James fragments
« on: March 23, 2018, 10:42:19 PM »
I was going through some fragments of James shells, and I noticed something interesting....  along with the typical bigger pieces of blown James shells, were all these little chunks of the 'birdcage' section of the shell from  below the powder area, or the main section of the shell. I thought about it a bit, and realized what a great almost case shot effect this would have. A whole bunch of cast iron chunks flying around. But, with a percussion fuze, the effect would be lessened. But, except for just a few examples, there really haven't been too many James case shot shells recovered.  So, maybe in his experiments, General James realized the effect of all these pieces and he purposefully planned this.... I don't know, what do you think ?? 
   By the way, has anyone knowledge of any good reference material about General James work and development of shells ??

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Interesting James fragments
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 03:56:22 PM »
Had not thought of it but can see where the birdcage would shatter into a good many near ideal sized frags.  I've not seen anything referencing that.  And to answer your question, I've also not seen any study done by James.  A good place to start might be to look up the patent and see how he describes the virtues of his shell.
Best,
Carl