Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Civil War Artillery shell found in Florida shed  (Read 4161 times)

gandycreek

Civil War Artillery shell found in Florida shed
« on: February 28, 2018, 02:11:06 PM »
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 07:46:13 PM by gandycreek »

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Re: Civil War Artillery shell found in Florida shed
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 10:02:44 PM »
Mills, who is with the public affairs office of the 6th Air Mobility Wing at MacDill, told the Picket that the sand-filled shell will be kept for future EOD training on base.

WOA! Wait a minute there hoss. That's personal property that DOES NOT pose a threat to the public. Must be returned or its theft. And being that a Dahlgren is worth more that $300.00, it becomes a Felony.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

gflower

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 10:38:46 PM »
It's worth more than 300.00! I would love to know where it came from. That shell is generally found in fort sites shelled by the US Navy, i.e. The low country ( where I found several of that size) and around Yorktown.  I have the smaller 3.4 inch variant but will have to look up where I found it. I have never heard of one being found in Florida soil. Gary

redbob

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 09:20:33 AM »
If I read another article on the same subject correctly, the owner gave the shell to the EOD team as he did not want it.

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 10:26:30 AM »
Always good when there is a positive outcome.  You would think it would happen more often in this age of Googling info, but every so often we get someone coming to this forum to tell us of a shell they found. 

I recall two successful instances, and there were many more where the "projectile" was just a metallic spheroid.  One woman in Maryland had what we informed her was a 12pdr sideloader.  She decided she wanted to keep it, but we got her to somebody who could take it to get inerted for her and returned safely.  Another guy found a Read bolt in his late father-in-law’s closet, and we set him straight as to what it was and helped him get a fair price for it too.  Hopefully, more people will find us here when they have these types of finds and let us help them.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 08:19:08 PM »
It's worth more than 300.00

Yes I know that was my point.

If I read another article on the same subject correctly, the owner gave the shell to the EOD team as he did not want it.

I'm sure he wasn't told it was safe and very valuable prior to him giving it to them.

Im not a big fan of the E.O.D. or the feds or even local law enforcement when it comes to historical artifacts.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.