Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Cored Shot  (Read 3598 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Cored Shot
« on: January 14, 2018, 08:50:03 PM »
Hello,

A question popped into my head when replying to an email from a collector regarding a 15-inch shot which may be cored or simply solid that Pete was assisting with.  If a shot is cored do they cast it with a sand core and leave the sand in there or is the sand removed to help further reduce the weight?  I thought I'd ask here to both learn and share with any others in the group who like I don't know the answer.
Best,
Carl

jonpatterson

• Email
Re: Cored Shot
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 09:10:11 PM »
The sand is removed and the hole plugged. That reduces the weight, thus reduces the strain on the gun and increases velocity.
It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee

Jack Bell

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 11:13:25 AM »
The only cored shot I have seen is at the Citadel, in Charleston.  The hole was not plugged and there was no sand in it. However, the shot had been fired and picked up by General Beauregard's troops. He presented it to the Citadel. So all bets are off on their condition prior to firing.

Jack Bell

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 11:15:48 AM »
The weight difference between cored and solid shot is the key to identification.  The cored shot weighs approximately 400 pounds, while the shot weighs ab out 446 pounds

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 11:52:23 PM »
Jack: I was hoping you'd reply!   ;D  I figured you have seen as many or more than anyone.

I've seen that shot a the Citadel sitting on that stand. Quite a neat relic with a great story.  I have a couple images of it somewhere that I'll look for and post for those interested.

What about other cored shot besides the 15-inch balls.  For example the 100-lber Parrott cored shot that had a rivet in the bottom?
Best,
Carl

Jack Bell

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 01:31:16 PM »
There are photos of two 6.4-inch Parrott hollow shot in my book on pp. 291-292. The key to identification is the same as the 15-inch shot - weight.  The 6.4-inch Parrott hollow shot are 75-78 pounds the solid 6.4-inch Parrott solid bolts are about 90-95 pounds. I talked to the owner of the one on page 291 yesterday. He still has it.

The only other large caliber hollow shot I know about is the 6.4-inch Harding hollow shot, which I was told were only used against the USS Dai Ching on the Combahee River in SC.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 09:27:21 PM »
I was wondering if the Parrott's had the black sand in them when fired.  I have a half 100-lber hollow shot I got from Corky but I don't know if it was hollow when cut.  Unfortunately I didn't ask him and it is too late now.  When I look at the size of the cavity in my shell I would think the iron to replace that void would weigh a fair amount more than the 12-20 pound range you know which leads me to believe it is not air but that the sand is still in it.  Maybe I'll stumble on a ratty one some day and can cut it and know.

I did talk to someone in Charleston and he said there was sand in the Eason shot when he drilled them.
Best,
Carl

Jack Bell

• Email
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 05:12:27 PM »
Weren't the Eason Brittens all shells?

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 10:04:58 PM »
Jack: Yes, as far as not being cast solid.  I think they are all Hollow Shot” being used with a sand core.
Best,
Carl