Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Limber Question  (Read 3349 times)

jonpatterson

• Email
Limber Question
« on: January 11, 2018, 06:21:50 PM »
Time to tap into the well of wisdom of this group.   A friend of mine recently took a NPS test to become a certified guide. There was a question on the test, which neither he nor any others testing at the same time seemed to know the answer to. He has been unable to find the answer anywhere since.

The question (as best he remembered) was:  What is the name for the divider in the ammunition chest on a limber?  Anybody have an idea?  Mine was "divider", but he didn’t seem to think that was what they were looking for.   ;D  Thanks.
It is history that teaches us to hope.

Robert E. Lee

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Re: Limber Question
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 06:42:36 PM »
Have no idea. I like divider as well, or maybe sectioner (sic) no such word apparently.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

Ausmagic

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 10:50:37 PM »
In Chapter 12 (Equipment of Field Batteries...Interior Arrangement of Ammunition Chests) of Mordecai's Artillery for the Land Use Service, the center "partition" is called the "principal partition".  The ones on each side of the "principal partition" are called "partitions" and the divisions created are numbered "first, second, third etc." counting outward from the "principal partition."

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 11:12:56 PM »
Thank you very much, from me and my friend, for the information.

Robert E. Lee

redbob

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 09:10:01 AM »
Well, you certainly do learn something new every day I guess.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 09:40:17 AM »
Here lies the million dollar question. Why was it necessary to give the dividers names?
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

jonpatterson

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 10:20:04 AM »
Redbob - Yep there is always more to learn, especially the minutia. My friend is a college history professor and was baffled by the question (as were everyone else taking the test) and then not being able to locate ANYTHING on it online, so turned to me knowing I collect artillery. I was equally stumped and unable to find anything, so turned to the Well of Knowledge". I should have started here first.

Speedenforcer - I fully agree with "why was it necessary". My friend worded more along the line of "Who cares?"  I suggested he keep that thought in mind when writing his next test.  :)  My thought is because it was a government and military thing and they had to make things complicated.

Anyone interested in downloading a copy of the book referred to can do so at: https://archive.org/details/artilleryforunit00unitrich 

Robert E. Lee