Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Neat Schenkl  (Read 6699 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Neat Schenkl
« on: December 23, 2017, 07:35:25 AM »
Here is a neat shell I was happy to pick up at a recent show.  It is an early prototype Schenkl for the rifled 6-lber. it has a great example of the early iron percussion fuse.  Note there is no tail on it.
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Re: Neat Schenkl
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 08:33:59 AM »
WOW, Very nice.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 07:25:58 PM »
Ok, I missed it earlier, I am a novice I'll admit, however I did not realize there were any schenkl's made for any 6 pounder. how rare are they? Are there any common  pounder shenkyls that are reasonably priced.

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 08:51:17 PM »
The caliber certainly isn’t rare and in fact there are a handful of varieties.  They aren’t common either. But early in the war they rifled a lot of 6-lber smoothbores and needed light ammunition for them so they created some Schenkl and later some Hotchkiss in a shorter lighter style than the longer rounds intended for 20-lber Parrott rifles. The longer Parrott rounds were too heavy and I don’t think Parrott ever made a light round.  Here is an example of the more typical round seen: 
http://www.bulletandshell.com/Items/item.php?id=A00944
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 08:53:09 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 09:21:19 PM »
ok I was thinking that a 6 pound shenkyl would have been smaller

svedra

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 08:47:53 AM »
I believe the fuse in this makes it that much rarer...

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 11:50:52 PM »
Svedra:  That is very true.  The fuses are quite rare.   I am aware of their use in Schenkls at Port Hudson and know if one from Shiloh. Being they are iron I’m sure a lot of relic hunters overlooked the fuses from exploded shells since they would be small iron signals.  Would love to have s nice one to add to my fuse collection. 

Regarding the shell it is a unusual body style.  There is no tail knob, it is very short and squatty and it is lathed at the mudsection to the right diameter.  There are no ridges on the tail but the less common grooves. 
Best,
Carl

Woodenhead

• Email
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 02:09:52 PM »
Here is a 3.67 inch Schenkl shell found by Dick Hammond during the 1960s along the 2nd Manassas campaign. Gen. Pope had a few of the guns - the only time they were used in VA.

Woodenhead

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 08:19:21 AM »
By “only time they were used in Virginia” did you mean cannons used by the Confederates?  I don’t have my books here but weren’t there 3.67-inch shells found at High Bridge?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 03:05:50 PM by CarlS »
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 02:19:50 PM »
This thread twists around a lot.  Let me try to sort it out.

1) Carl has an uncommon type of 3.67" Schenkl with the early iron Schenkl percussion fuse.
2)  Woodenhead posted a different and more common type of 3.67" Schenkl found around Manassas.  He stated this was the only place 3.67" Schenkls were found in Virginia
3)  Both Schenkl types shown are Federal shells
4)  Carl replied about 3.67" shells used by the Confederates, type not specified, being found at High Bridge.

Carl and Mike O, feel free to correct my comments. 

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 03:13:58 PM »
Mike, that is accurate.  My question to Mike was with regards to CS usage of rifled 6-lbers in the east only being by Pope at 2nd Manassas. I thought there were short Read shells at High Bridge which would lead me to believe they had rifled 6-lbers.   
Best,
Carl

emike123

• Administrator
    • Bullet and Shell
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 04:00:25 PM »
Carl:  John Pope was a Union general best known for his defeat at the Second Battle of Bull Run (Second Manassas).  Perhaps you were thinking of General Polk of the Confederacy.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 04:01:35 PM by emike123 »

Pete George

• Email
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 07:47:17 PM »
  Because these discussions are a search for knowledge and Facts by sharing what we each know, let me make a contribution. The "short" Schenkl 3.67" percussion shell was used by the Yankees at the battle of Spotsylvania Court House. I'm certain about that because I dug several fragments from one there, having the distinctive large raised ribs and long fat tail-knob with rounded edge.

Carl, I checked with Bill Graham to answer your question. The Confederate magazine at High Bridge VA held a number of 3.4/3.5" (dual-caliber) Read shells, made for use in the 3.4" Virginia Reamed-&-Rifled 4-pounder Smoothbore and 3.5" Blakely Rifle. It also held some of the late-war "bluntnosed" 3.67" Read shells, for a 20-pdr. Parrott Rifle.

Regards,
Pete

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 08:22:17 PM »
Mike: My bad.  Too lazy to look it up on my phone and of course living about 4 miles from where CS Gen’l Polk got in the way of a Hotchkiss shell I immediately only thought of him.

Pete: I guess it was the latter I was thinking of. 

I’m really surprised there was no CS usage of rifled 6-lbers north of North Carolina other than than what Mike O. mentioned.  I guess they kept all the new fancy guns up there and sent the well tested guns out west. 
Best,
Carl

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 10:02:30 PM »
"CS Gen’l Polk got in the way of a Hotchkiss shell" 

Sad but funny the way you put it.