Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Though not period it is kind of Artillery  (Read 4833 times)

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
Though not period it is kind of Artillery
« on: December 07, 2017, 01:12:00 PM »
Hello,

Anyone recognize the small modern looking bomb toys below?  I got a query about what they are from and I don't recall.  I know I've seen them before but don't remember any detail.  Thanks in advance.
Best,
Carl

pipedreamer65

• Email
Re: Though not period it is kind of Artillery
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 03:06:27 PM »
Look like bomblet cluster munitions.  Lazy dog

callicles

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 03:21:30 PM »
Well, when I was a kid my brother and I had toy WW2 planes with little bombs like that you could attach.  They were plastic though. You could set up hundreds of army men on the floor, pretend to fly your plane over the desperate army formations, press a button on your toy plane, release your bombs and spread utter destruction among the enemy! Thems was the good ol’ Days!!

alwion

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 03:35:09 PM »
Lazy dog viet nam period, discontinued as inhuman since you couldn't hear them coming, my understanding is dropped in bushel baskets from a high level bomber would penetrate several inches of steel

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 08:46:18 PM »
Yup, good ol gravity and kenetic energy. No powder needed

scottfromgeorgia

• Email
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 08:49:07 PM »

No way. Mass times speed does not equal a small mass falling through atmosphere penetrating several inches of steel.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:57:00 PM by scottfromgeorgia »

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 11:12:22 PM »
Very neat.  I remember seeing them on tables at shows, etc. before but never bothered to understand what they were.  Now I know them to be "Lazy Dog Bombs":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazy_Dog_(bomb)
They were quite destructive.  I would not want to metal detect where they were dropped as there would be a big reading every couple feet.  Nails and pull tabs are bad enough.
Best,
Carl

alwion

• Email
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 07:04:22 AM »
according to the article, same force as 50BMG. also read on the flechette's , small arrow style projectiles. they still sell them packed them in shotgun shells, but out Viet vet army navy store owner shot them out of his 155mm spg, said they just denuded hugh areas of all foliage when fired into the jungle, definitely nasty to get hit by. they are interesting, and though later than I collect are both cjeap and readily available, so I have some of each taking up space. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flechette

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 08:21:50 AM »

No way. Mass times speed does not equal a small mass falling through atmosphere penetrating several inches of steel.

I didn't mention several inches of steel Scott, but ask the Vietcong or better yet, lets drop one on your ol' head and see how that works for ya.

pipedreamer65

• Email
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 08:27:06 AM »
You know the military is still experimenting with non-explosive munitions and kinetic energy weapons.  Look up "Rods from God"

redbob

• Email
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 10:17:59 AM »
During the Viet Nam era, the 105MM Howitzer had the modern day equivalent of the Civil War canister round. It was called a flechette round which when fired let loose 8,000 small metal darts about an inch long. they were also called "beehive" rounds because of the sound the darts made when whizzing through the air. Having used them and seeing them in use, you didn't want to be on the business end of one. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 10:21:24 AM by redbob »

alwion

• Email
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 07:16:25 AM »
I'll have to ask Miles, I thought he said 155, but maybe it was 105. I know it was 25th infantry. yep consensus was you didn't want to be on the receiving end of those

Selma Hunter

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 09:42:06 AM »
There was a 2.75"Aerial Folding Fin Rocket which I believe was made in both the 10lb and 17lb versions that used the flechettes or "nails".  Nasty little buggars and very effective.  Have seen lots of greenery shredded with them. 

CarlS

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 09:57:45 PM »
Thanks everyone for the interesting feedback.  Amazing the extent of the knowledge amongst the members of this group.  I can't imagine what thoughts one might have on the ground when he hears thousands of these falling through the trees around him.   It would have to be utter fear.
Best,
Carl