Bullet and Shell Civil War Projectiles Forum

Author Topic: Identified Dragoon Saber.  (Read 3593 times)

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Identified Dragoon Saber.
« on: December 04, 2017, 11:54:59 AM »
Not Projectile related however I am sure there are some blade related knowledgeable collectors on here. That being said, I have a British Dragoon Saber I think it’s called the 1833 model, not sure. I also saw in my notes 1828 model but that may be a typo. It is identified to a Benjamin Otten company K, 3rd Missouri Cavalry. It has a very old tag attached to the scabbard, the ink, style of writing, type pen used is of the period. Obviously from a G.A.R post. I also have his federal smooth side canteen that also has the same style tag.

Question #1. Were there many of those older imports used by the Federal Cavalry? I                    would think that the North had plenty of resources to outfit their troops with more modern equipment.

Question #2. Is it possible that he captured this saber and loaned it to the G.A.R. which would still have his name on it

The tag simply sais Property of Pvt. Benjamin Otten Co. K 3rd Missouri Cavalry.

Opinions did he carry it himself or did he take it from a Confederate. Obviously I hope it is a Confederate capture, unlikely though. We will never know probably. Would there be a record somewhere of what that unit was issued?

I may have posted this question before, I am unsure. If so I didn't get any results that I recall.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.

alwion

• Email
Re: Identified Dragoon Saber.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 03:57:36 PM »
In general I believe that most officers had to provide there own equipment and were not issued US material, the higher the rank the better equipment he could usually afford. The best steel in the 1860  era was made in solingen, so many US officer swords were made there for the US market. someone with money wouldn't have had a US made sword, as the metal was very inferior, and of course a better made sword would have been valued by a lower rank also. Confederate or militia would have used whatever was available and might not have been issued regular US arms, I expect missouri cav units could have got what was left over. might have been what he was issued. reading equipment lists showing all kinds of mix matched weapons issued, all war materials were in short supply

speedenforcer

• Raulerson Relics
Re: Identified Dragoon Saber.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 05:24:30 PM »
Thank you Alwion.
It's not always "Survival of the fitest" sometimes the idiots get through.